Part 16 - Worries.

"Hello Carole." The doctor smiled as she sat down. "How are you?"

Carole shrugged. "Just desperate to know what the facts are."

"I have your maternity records and I was able to speak to the doctor who treated you."

"Really? He remembered me?"

The doctor nodded. "It means I have lots of details which will enable me to give you a clear picture of the situation."

"Which is?" Carole asked nervously.

Over an hour later a shocked Carole, clutching a book on pregnancy,  left the doctors office. She got into her car and burst into tears. Tears rolled down her face, which she made no attempt to brush away. 

Someone tapped on the driver's side window, causing Carole to jump, startled. She turned to see the smiling face of Jane Asher looking at her. Jane knocked again and signalled for Carole to open the window. 

"Hi." Jane was bright and breezy, "I thought this was your car. How are..." She stopped, seeing Carole's tear stained face. "Oh Carole, are you OK? Have you just come from the doctors?"

Carole hastily wiped her face. "Just feeling bad." she muttered, "Full of the flu doctor said. Got to go." She began to wind the window up but Jane stopped her.

"I'll call round to check on you then!" she smiled, "It's horrible being ill on your own. OK?"

"Fine!" Carole finally closed the window and drove the car home. Pulling up outside  the flat she shared with Ritchie, she paused, wondering what would happen next in their lives. Feeling tears once more and cautious of being seen by press or fans, she moved inside very quickly.

Several hours later Carole was awoken by someone knocking on the door and calling her name. Stumbling out of bed, she tiptoed down the hall, listening.

"I don't think she's here Jane." It was Cynthia's voice.

"Where's she likely to have gone Cyn!" Jane replied, "She said she was ill. The flu or something. Look, I promised I'd check on her. I'll knock again."

"Don't!" Carole called. She unlocked the door and opened it a crack. "Hi." 

Jane and Cyn peered at her. Cyn looked anxious. "Jane said you were ill Carole. What a rotten timing with Ritchie away!"

"I'm OK. Just sleeping. Like the doctor said I should." she added hoping they would take the hint and leave.

"What about food and drink though?" That was Jane.

"I'm fine!" Carole just wanted them to leave, "Please...I know you mean well...I want to be on my own!"

Cynthia moved forward. "Carole love," she whispered, "Jane mentioned the pregnancy book. I've been in your shoes too!  If you need to talk I..."

"Shhh!" Carole hissed, "Someone will hear you!" 

She opened the door and let them in.  They  followed her through to the living room and sat down. They stared at each other in silence.

"How far along are you Carole?" Cyn asked quietly.

"I'm not pregnant."

"We won't mention anything to John or Paul." said Jane, "Don't be worried."

Carole stood up, angry now. "Look ladies, I know you mean well but just GO! I'm not pregnant or worried about being pregnant. I'm absolutely fine!" She moved out of the room and stood in the hallway. "Please leave NOW!!"