Part 41- Maureen

"Good morning, Henderson Mitchell Estate Agency, can I help you?"

"Hi gorgeous!" said a very familiar voice, "You disappeared before I had chance to show you how much I love you this morning!"

Carole stifled the urge to laugh, Ritchie knew she wasn't allowed personal calls in work.

"Good morning Sir," she answered politely. She heard Ritchie laugh, enjoying the mischief, "How can we help you today?"

"I bet you're sitting there, all sexy and gorgeous, whilst I'm lying in our big warm bed with a huge stiffy thinking of you!" He spoke in a low thrilling voice making Carole squirm.

"I'm sorry sir, these things are unavoidable." she answered as politely and calmly as she could, "However, I can see if I have an alternative time I can be of service?"

"Now you're talking!"

Carole struggled not to laugh, aware that her boss was in the same room. 

"You still there Carole?"

"Yes sir."

"Why have you gone quiet? People around?"

"Certainly sir."

He laughed. "I'm being honest you know! I got an erection just thinking of you!"

"OK?"

He laughed more. "Are you ever going to crack? I keep trying!"

"Thank you sir."

"Carole, don't go!"

"I have to."

"Sorry...I don't want to get you into trouble. I just like teasing you!"

"I know."

"I've arranged with Maureen to have the kids tonight," he said softly, "So that you and her can talk like you wanted. Is that OK?"

"Sure. Do you have a time in mind sir?"

"I'm going to collect the kids from school so it's up to you really Maureen said."

"4pm? That's fine sir."

"Where do you want to meet though?" he asked, "Ours or yours?"

"I think  Greendale is an excellent location." she told him, using the name of her road.

"Ok, I'll let Maureen know," he finished the conversation, "Sorry for messing about. I don't mean to get you into trouble Carole."

"I know what you mean."

"I love you baby. Can't wait to see you late!"

"Me too. Looking forward to meeting you too sir. Good bye."

"Love you."

She hung up, relieved she'd got through his call without laughing. Her boss caught her eye. She smiled at him and turned her attention back to her work.

Just after 3pm Carole locked her desk and collected her belongings.

"See you tomorrow!" she called to her work colleagues.

She made the short walk back to her own little house that evening. This was unusual as she usually headed straight to Ritchie's house....their house. She mentally corrected herself. Ritchie was adamant that the new house was 'theirs' as it would be their marital home as soon as possible as far as he was concerned. She wanted to live there permanently but because the children visited regularly, at the moment she flitted between two houses. 

Letting herself in, Max came running down the hall, barking in welcome.

"Hello boy!" 

She knelt down and fussed him before going through to the kitchen and feeding him. Glancing at the clock, she realised she wouldn't be able to walk him until later. She ran upstairs and changed into a pair of jeans and a T shirt of Ritchie's then went down stairs to wait.

At exactly four o'clock there was a knock on the door. Carole went to open it, as ever accompanied by Max.

"Hello!" Maureen greeted her enthusiastically, "And this beauty must be Max!"

Carole smiled and stood to one side to let Maureen in. Max allowed her to fuss him before settling back down in the kitchen by Carole's feet. Pleasantries over an coffe  brewed, the two woman sat face to face.

"Thanks for agreeing to see me tonight Maureen." said Carole.

"Hey, I should be thanking you! Congratulations by the way! Ritchie has told me the news." She smiled, "I'm so pleased for you both! It was obvious when I met you a while ago that you and Ritchie went meant to be together!"

"Thank you," Carole paused. "Did Ritchie explain why I wanted this opportunity to talk to you tonight?"

"Something about the kids?"

Carole nodded. "Ritchie adores the children and, for me, I don't want my relationship with him, to affect them. I want to get to know them Maureen ....let them see me as a person before anything is said about marrying Ritchie."

Maureen nodded.

"So I guess the reason why I wanted to see you was to ask you how do you think the children will react to dad having a girl friend?"

"I think Jason and Lee will be fine with the idea. They know I'm seeing someone new too"

"I didn't know that."

Maureen smiled. "However Zak, being the oldest, seems to be finding it harder than the others to accept that Ritchie and I aren't going to be together anymore."

"OK, so..." Carole stopped, "so what do you think might help the news of me and Ritchie for all of them?"

"Be yourself Carole. You're a nice person who loves their dad. Zak may remember you from before anyway. He'll remember you helped Ritchie get off the drink. Be calm and try to understand that any kind of comments or bad behaviour comes from the fear of loosing their dad not you."

Carole smiled. "I know that feeling! My mum remarried when I was a kid. I went to school one day and when we came home my stepfather was there. She'd married him but my brothers and sisters had never met him! He was horrible!"

"Exactly!" Maureen hugged her suddenly, "I like you! Anyone that cares about my kids as much as you do is great by me!"

Carole grinned. "Thank you! I want to be a good step parent. It's the nearest I'll ever get to being a mum. I want to do it properly!"

The two women talked for a while longer then the phone rang. Carole answered it.

"Hi!"

"Hello sweetheart!" She was glad to be able to talk to Ritchie properly now but knew he was more guarded because the children were around.

"How's thing?"

"Brilliant!" Carole grinned over at Maureen, "I think I've made a new best friend Ritchie love!"