Part 46 - The Big Day.

Carole looked at herself in the mirror. She looked dreadful and her head was still pounding even though she hadn't had alcohol last night when Maureen stayed over! Pale and tired, she had struggled to sleep without Ritchie beside her. Keeping them apart the night before their wedding was a tradition forced upon them by Paul and Maureen. 

There was a knock on the bedroom door.

"Carole!"

"Come in!"

Maureen came in carrying a tray, Lee bounced in beside her, clearly very excited about the day ahead.

"Oh, you're up!" Maureen looked disappointed, "Every bride should have breakfast in bed on her big day!"

Carole gave her friend a watery smile. "Thanks."

"Hey, are you OK? You don't look too good!"

"I don't feel good either to be honest." Carole admitted.

Maureen put the tray down and went to Carole. "Oh no!" She placed her hand on her forehead. "You don't feel hot or anything."

"I've got tummy ache, headache, the start of a sore throat and I feel sick!" she looked glum, "All I want to do is sleep!"

"But the wedding? Ritchie?"

"I'm still going to marry him!" Carole rubbed her face with her hands, "I just wish I didn't feel so yuk!"

"Maybe food will help? It could just be wedding nerves. Food would help settle your stomache!""

Carole looked doubtful.

"It's worth a try Carole."

"OK." Carole returned to the bed and sat beside Maureen. She took some toast off the plate and began to eat. 

"Any better?" Maureen asked after she finished a slice of toast.

"Not sure." 

Carole suddenly heaved. She jumped up and ran into the bathroom. Maureen heard her being sick. After sending Lee to play in her room, she waited for Carole to reappear. It didn't take long before she came back looking paler than before. She sat on the bed in tears.

"Shall I ring the doctor?" Maureen asked quietly.

"I've got a bug. What can a doctor do?" she looked at Maureen, "I've waited twelve years for today! It's going to be ruined! Poor Ritchie!"

Maureen waked to the phone. "I'll call the doctor. There might be something she can give you!"

Carole lay on the bed and closed her eyes. She shivered so Maureen covered her up. After calling the doctor, she debated whether to ring for Ritchie too. 

After giving Carole a thorough examination, the doctor, she sat down beside her. 

"Wedding nerves!" she told her, "a classic case of wedding nerves."

"But I don't feel nervous" Carole replied miserably, "I fell ill!"

"Is there anything you can do for Carole doctor?" Maureen asked.

The doctor rummaged her her briefcase and took out a small bottle. "These are designed to alleviate the feelings of nausea. They taste foul but they do work."

"Do you think that might help Carole?" Maureen looked at her friend.

"I suppose."

"Take two with water," the doctor instructed, "and then, if you have time, rest for a while. It should help."