Part 53 - Happy Birthday!

"Hiya Carole!" Zak called as he climbed out of the car, "Where's my sister?"

"Front room," replied Carole laughing, "With your mum! Hi Jason!"

The boys ran past her. Carole waited for Ritchie who walked in, hand in hand with Lee.

"Hello Sweetheart!" said Carole, giving her stepdaughter a hug, "How are you?"

"Great!" She hugged Carole back. "Is Alice in the front room?"

"She is."

Ritchie and Carole followed the children into the front room. A happy sight greeted them. Zak, Jason and Lee were all sat on the rug in the middle of the room, showing birthday presents to their  baby sister. Zak was holding her on his knee whilst the little girl was trying to bite the wrapping paper.

"You don't bite it!" said Lee giggling, "You rip it Alice. Watch!"

  Ritchie and Carole watched as Lee ripped a corner of the paper. Immediately their daughter pulled at the paper, delighted as it ripped making a loud noise. She giggled and pulled more paper. Once the parcel was unwrapped the little girl began to explore the paper, crinkling it and playing.

"That's not your present!" Lee looked to Maureen who was watching the events, a huge grin on her face. "Mum, tell her!"

"Babies like the crinkly noises the paper makes!" said Maureen, "You were exactly the same!"

Lee took the doll from the package and showed it to Alice. She took it off her older sister and looked at it.

"She likes it dad! I knew she would!"

The door bell rang. Ritchie went to open it. The McCartney's came in with their foursome. Within minutes the older children had disappeared to the back garden leaving the adults with baby Alice and the slightly older baby James. Carole and Linda went to the kitchen to get everyone a drink, leaving the men with the babies.

"Carole!" Ritchie's voice was urgent. "Carole! QUICK!!"

She ran through to the front room, concerned something was wrong. She stopped dead in the doorway. Ritchie was looking across the room. Her eyes followed him. There stood Alice Starkey, their one year old daughter who had chosen her first birthday to find her feet. Birthday toys remained ignored, birthday wrap covered the floor. 

Carole groaned, making Ritchie laugh even more.

Alice Starkey had found the drumsticks and was happily banging on the snare drum!

"We can see who she takes after Ritchie!" called Paul, "Poor Carole!"

THE END