Part 48 - Questions and Answers.

Carole walked from the doctors office to her car. She sat down, her head spinning with the information she had been given. Sighing, she put the key in the ignition and made the short journey home.

"Hi Baby!" 

"You're back early!"

He walked over and hugged her. "Paul was knackered! Apparently the baby won't sleep at all so the whole household is being disturbed!" He laughed. "I thought you and me could spend some time together but you wren't here! Been anywhere nice?"

"I went for a talk with the doctor Ritchie."

He held her close  but moved enough to see her face fully. "You're not ill are you?" He was concerned. 

She shook her head. "I went to discuss fertility, like we talked about."

"And?" Concern still showed on his face.

She kissed him softly. "You put the kettle on Ritchie love whilst I get my coat off. We can talk over a coffee. Yes?"

He nodded and kissed her back. "See you in a minute then!"

Once ready Carole walked through and joined Ritchie who was already sat waiting, two drinks ready. 

"Thanks love!"

He watched her for a moment. "Well?"

"It was very interesting. Very different from the last time I asked." 

"Why love?" He paused, "You do want to tell me, don't you?"

"Of course I do!" She stood up and moved to sit next to him, facing him. "I've been told that there have been a lot of developments in the treatment of infertility."

"Really?" 

She nodded. "The usual course is to go into hospital for a series of tests.The tests are designed to try to establish the cause of the problem because there are so many different causes."

"I didn't know that!"

Carole smiled. "Typical man!" She laughed, "Once the cause is identified then for a lot of people, there is some treatment available."

"It cures them?"

"Well, not quite cures. The hospital won't guarantee you'll get pregnant after any treatment. They can't but it would increase the likelihood of it happening."

"So what happens now Carole?"

She took his hand. "I want to go for the tests Ritchie."

"OK. Go ahead my love. I'm with you in whatever you want to do!"

"But before I do though, I need to ask you something very important."

"Go on."

"If my infertility can be treated. And I know it's a big 'if!' Would you want you us to have a baby of our own?" Carole studied his face, waiting for any kind of negative reaction.

"If I'm honest Carole, before I met you again and we got married, the idea another baby was a definite NO!"

"And now?"

"Now? Well I thought about what it felt like seeing my child grow inside a person I loved. I remembered when Zak was born and the feelings that sledgehammered me when I first held him! It was amazing!" He smiled softly, "A new life is a wonderous thing Carole. I would be more than happy to share that process with you. I'd love a new baby if it could happen."

"And if my infertility can't be cured?" Carole looked afraid, remembering how Ritchie reacted last time. "Will it change you and me?"

"NEVER!" He pulled her close and kissed her. He looked into her eyes. "Last time I made the mistake of letting you go! I've never regretted the kids or marrying Maureen. But Carole, letting you go the way I did was....." He shook his head sadly, "It was the worst mistake of my life. The way I see things love, is you and me are happy together, yes?"

Carole nodded.

"And having the kids over and sharing time with them is great."

She smiled. "I love playing stepmum to them!"

"Exactly! So if we can't have a child of our own, then nothing changes love. We stay you and me." He kissed her. "Believe me, I love you so much. I want you no matter."

Carole nodded. "Thank you."

"What for?"

"Being honest with me."

"I love you Carole, so I can't be anything else."

Two weeks later Carole was admitted into the hospital for a series of tests. The procedure was due to last three days with up to a further two days stay for a 'recovery period.'

"What the hell are they going to do to you to need two days recovery?" Ritchie had asked in alarm when she told him.

After explaining that some of the 'internal' examinations were described as 'obtrusive' he'd gone pale and asked her to stop. Now they were sat together on Carole's hospital room awaiting the first of her tests which were to be done under a general anesthetic. Ritchie was scared! He'd hated hospital all his life, having sent so much time in them as a child. Now though, he was scared for Carole even though she had reassured him that they tests were safe.

When a porter and a nurse came to collect Carole to take her to theatre, Ritchie had hugged her hard.

"Make sure you came back safe and sound! Got that!"

"I'll be fine." she told him before giving him a kiss, "See you later."

Over an hour later a very relieved Ritchie watched them bring Carole back to her room. She was still drowsy. She would sleep for some time  he'd been told, all he could do was wait. He settled next to her bed and stroked the hand nearest him. It wasn't long before she began to stir. Her eyes fluttered open.

"Hi baby." He whispered, smiling at her, "How you feeling?"

She smiled sleepily. "Ok... sore but OK. You?"

"I'm fine now you're back!" He smiled.

He stayed with her for a short while longer then left her to rest.