Headcanon: Pauline

Okay guys, so everyone's talking about poor Will, in and after The Royal Ranger. Poor, poor Will who has lost his wife. He has lost his wife, is best friend, his everything. Yes, that's unbelievably sad and it makes me cry every time again. Alyss's death must have been worst for Will, but everyone seems to forget someone else.

Pauline.

Alyss was like a daughter to Pauline. The relationship between mentor and student was about as strong as the relationship between Halt and Will. We are all able to imagine Halt's reactions when Will is hurt, or when Will has died.
But don't you think it must have been just as hard for Pauline to lose Alyss?! It seems like everyone forgets how close they were. I must admit I did too, but I realized how hard it must have been for Pauline while I was at school (not the right place to realize those kind of things). It made tears well up AGAIN. Pauline is the one to have sent Alyss on that mission and she was the one to train her. Don't you think she feels responsible for what has happened? Don't you think it must have taken lots of time before she could live with the fact that her student was never going to take her place? 

Cause I do. 

And it hurts.