Goodbye - Lost Love

I'm so sorry. It took me so much longer than I had expected. Anyway, here you have part one, of the three-part story. Please let me know what you think of it!

Note: It takes place, about 20/18 months, prior 'The Royal Ranger'. Have fun!

>>>---------->

It was a beautiful morning. It was early, but the sun was shining and the warm rays tickled everyone and everything already. The sky was blue and the new leaves of the trees moved gently to the rhythm of a soft breeze. It was going to be a beautiful day.

On the top of a hill, a castle stood. Its stone was glowing red and its towers towered over everything beneath it. Every other castle would have had four towers, but this one had only three. Though that didn't make the castle less impressive. Every person with malicious intentions would think at least twice, before attacking this particular castle.

On the courtyard of the castle, near the entrance to the donjon, there was a small group of people. Their ages varied. On one side, there was standing an older couple, while on the other side there was a young girl, aged around 14. All the others were about the same age, 45 max. It was clear that the group existed of close friends. Friends, who had shared and experienced a lot. And today one of the friends was about to leave for a few weeks, as demanded her mission. The person leaving was standing somewhere in the middle of the group. She had a tall and graceful body, wearing a comfortable but elegant white gown, and her blond hair was in a knot on her head. Her stuff was already packed and her escort was ready. The last thing that needed to be done before she would leave, was saying goodbye to her friends.

Cassandra was the first to hug the leaving Courier.

"Thank you so much!" she said. Alyss smiled.

"Always my pleasure, your Majesty."

Cassandra rolled her eyes and smiled in return. "I know, I know. It's just... I know I'd actually have to go myself, but then I'll miss the gathering with the Kings of Hibernia. It's our time to organize it again and since father is bedridden I must do it."

Alyss was going to the Court of Celtica to oversee the renewal of the defence agreement between Araluen and Celtica. It was a routine trip and a routine mission. Nevertheless, the Celts preferred someone of the Royal Family to be there, it had to do with one of there many old traditions. But King Duncan was bedridden, so could not go. A wound in his leg wouldn't recover, and his health decreased every day. This meant Cassandra would have to go, but since the Royal Family was also needed in Araluen itself, for the Kings of Hibernia, she could not leave. Hence, her friend was going to Celtica.

Alyss kept smiling, but now went to the next in line so she could hug Horace. "You'll be fine, I'll be fine. The escort I'm with is important enough to let me through immediately, so I'll probably be back before you will be done," she said. Horace grinned but then sighed. "I'm afraid you're right. Those Hibernian Kings are unbelievably stupid and annoying. The only one you can have a talk with, is Sean."

The Kingdom of Hibernia existed out of six small kingdoms, each with his own army and royal family. These six kingdoms all distrusted each other. Although there wasn't any really open war between them, they all sabotaged each other. The only reasonable king was Sean, the king of Clonmel and Halt's nephew. He was the only one playing fair, and just as Horace had said, he was the only one you could have a serious talk with.

The fight between the kingdoms was exactly the reason there were meetings every now and then, and another country had to organize them – to be sure of no sabotage. This year, the poor country chosen, was Araluen.