NEW Will & Alyss headcanon

ALRIGHT NEW HEADCANON Y'ALL

You probably remember one of the very first headcanons that I wrote at the beginning of this story. I stated that I believed Will and Alyss had chosen not to have any kids, due to the danger of their jobs and their not-so-spoken fear of losing each other. 

However, I've got another idea. 

After excessive research on the Middle Ages, I am convinced that there was some sort of anti conception. Nevertheless, I no longer believe that's what stopped Will and Alyss from having kids. 

In all honesty, I think they just couldn't get any. I believe that after long talks about all the possible what-ifs, they decided to try to have kids. But they couldn't. And it wasn't really their fault. I think it's something that ran in Alyss's family. When Halt brings Will to the Redmont ward, he states that Horace and Alyss already live there. If Halt knows this, then they must have arrived before the war started. Given the kids' ages, it's presumable that Alyss' mom died during childbirth. This means that it wouldn't be surprising if trouble with pregnancies ran in her family. 

So, although Will and Alyss wished to have kids, they never had, because they couldn't. Even though it was a disappointment, when they eventually gave up on their dream, they knew that it would be easier. Easier to leave on a mission. They wouldn't have to worry about that to do if one of them, or both, would come to die. 

They would be fine. 

With each other.