Round 1

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BOYS AND GIRLS, WELCOME TO THE FIRST ROUND OF THE WRITING COMPETITION!

3 competitors have worked very hard to write something nice for this first round. The theme of this round was: Headcanons. Our competitors have worked hard to make up something nice within this theme, and I have to say: nice things have been written! It's a pity, that a few competitors who had wanted to join at first didn't make it; time and inspiration have been hard. But the ones who did fully succeed can no longer do anything, they can no longer change anything. It is now the other's turn. Because you are going to read the headcanons and vote. Let's talk about the voting first," Gilan said, while standing in front of a group of readers, with a few papers in his hands. "But please, not in this way," Halt said quietly, so only Will, who was standing next to him, could hear him. The younger Ranger grinned. "Leave it," he said. "He is the Commander and wants to show that. I do think its, er, more clear than when Crowley would've done it." Halt agreed. His old friend would have made a mess out if it; if truth be told, Gilan's way was a bit more... clear. Gilan did not noticed his whispering friends, and continued his story. Although...

"The voting," he started, while searching between his papers. "The voting, the voting, the voting. Where on earth did I... Found it!

"The voting! In a minute, you will read three head canons. Each headcanon will have a number - randomly assigned, of course - and the name of the authors - credits to those who deserve them, surely. Then, everyone can assign numbers ONCE. For every headcanon you can give a minimum of 3 points, and a maximum of 7 points. If you 'vote', you have to assign points to every headcanon, otherwise your vote doesn't count. You may change your points later; your last time counts. You can vote until the competition closes; so you don't have to vote right now. You can assign votes in the comments, or send it privately. Please be fair and don't vote just for your friends. Give every headcanon the votes it deserves. Is that clear?"

"Well, I don't know if it's clear, but I'm sure everyone's heard it," said Halt. His former apprentice had spoken loud, that was clear. Will decided not to reply.

"Then we now go, to the headcanons!" Gilan continued, in that same, loud way. Will had to admit that even the people who weren't listening could hear him. "I'm curious," Will said quietly. Everyone knew that a big part of the headcanons weren't that positive - and he knew that very well. He wondered if there had been people with positive ones too. He shrugged and listened to Gilan, who had continued his story again.

"After every headcanon there will be a short break, in which we," he gestured to himself, Halt and Will, "will give some comments." "Wait, what?" Will asked. "He didn't say that. He only said -" "That we had to come to help him with the competition," Halt finished. "I saw this coming, and so should you have," he added. Will had to admit that the retired Ranger was right.

"Well, then, on to the moment everyone's been waiting fore... THE HEADCANONS!" Gilan yelled, and Halt made a painful look.

>>>---------->

Headcanon #1Tayla2811

Headcannon that when Halt tells everyone he trusts about his past they all are disappointed and feel betrayed of their trust, especially Crowley.

Halt looked at his two former apprentices, but they wouldn't look at him. Maybe... he thought. Maybe this was true. Maybe everyone had been disappointed... He didn't know. And he certainly wouldn't know it from Crowley. But the behavior of his two former apprentices said enough. Halt shifted uncomfortably.

>>>---------->

Headcanon #2 demigod77rangers

Okay, so my headcannon is about Alyss. She died in the fire saving a little girl, right? Well, what if that little girl was actually her little sister.

We don't know much about Alyss's past. Just that her father died in the war. What if her mother had gotten remarried and moved off, having accepted that her husband and little girl were dead.

So when Alyss looked up and saw the girl in the window, she saw herself, small and scared, missing her parents and being moved into a new ward.

And she became overwhelmed with emotions, and ran in to save the girl.

Will had become pale. "Could this be true?" he whispered. But no one could answer that question. When Halt looked at him, he saw a desperate look in his apprentice's eyes. He laid a hand upon his shoulder. "Don't go look for her, Will," he said. "Just let it be." Gilan nodded in agreement. "He is right Will. It's finished, and we don't want those 18 months again, okay?" Will just nodded.

>>>---------->

Headcanon #3TheQueenTurtle

Headcanon: Farell

He is an interesting fellow. He is quite unlike Rangers because he uses a battle axe. He's the Ranger at Redmont in book -1. Which asks the question what happens? Because obviously Halt goes to Redmont where Gilan and Will are apprenticed.

I think that in the war that starts next book, Farell dies. It would make some sense because Morgarath dislikes Arald and Farell is at Redmont. It's even possible that he died protecting Arald. And then after the war Halt goes to Redmont.

Will and Gilan looked at Halt curiously, but the older Ranger wouldn't say a thing. "Yeah, what happened to Farell, Halt?" Gilan asked. He couldn't remember the man - but it had been years. Will didn't recall him either. Halt did, but wasn't going to tell what had happened. Instead, he gestured Gilan to finish up.

>>>---------->

"I'd like to thank all competitors for their work in this first round," Gilan said, when all headcanons had been discussed. "Hopefully the next pieces will be just as good. Thanks everyone and see ya next round!" The Ranger Commander jumped off his chair on which he had been standing when talking to the readers. "Well, that's been finished," he said, satisfied. But his two companions were obviously less satisfied. "Gil, you're not done?" Will said, surprised. Gilan looked at him, even more surprised? "What do you mean? All headcanons have been discussed, haven't they?" Halt shook his head. "As far as I know, that wasn't the only thing you had to do," he said, waiting until Gilan would notice his mistake. Gilan shook his head thoughtfully and looked at his papers. "Yes it was," he started. "Welcome, rules, votes, comments, thanks, infor-OH!" He had noticed, and quickly he jumped on his chair again.

"PEOPLE!" he yelled, gesturing with his arms until he had full attention again. "Before you go: the information for the second round of this writing competition. Listed:

The new theme: One-Shots. Write a short story (max 2 pages) about Ranger's Apprentice. It can be about anything and everyone. Think of something that could have happened, but which hasn't been recorded in the books. It can be a continuation, or something random, whatever you want.

Date you must have handed it in: August 17. Maybe a few days later, because I'll be returning from vacation those days, but not many days. If there are any problems with this date - I hope not, you guys have about a month - please let me know. 

If there are any questions, feel free to ask! I wish the competitors a lot of luck and thanks to the readers for reading and voting. See ya next round!" And with those final words, Gilan finally stepped off the chair. This time he could be satisfied. He threw his papers on the ground - he'd clean them later - and looked at his friends. "Coffee?"