In the moonlight

As per request of @/when-there-is-a-will (via tumblr). 

Hope y'all enjoy it!!

---> This is the first draft, not edited so yeas I'm very very open to feedback :)

As for the Dutch fans: please don't forget to send in your contributions for the fanbooklet :)

>>>---------->

IN THE MOONLIGHT

It had been a long two weeks.

By the time he got home, after almost three weeks of being away, night had fallen and enveloped the forest in a blanket of darkness. The Ranger and his horse rode over the path that led to their cabin in the woods, guided only by the light of the moon.

Will shivered. Cold air ran right through him and he pulled his mottled cloak more tightly around him. He could feel the hairs on his arm raised and the bite of the wind had left its mark in the form of small bumps that were tingling on his arms, but its bite was more than flesh deep. His blood ran cold through his veins and his bones were chilled. On top of that, he could barely see his hand if he held it up in front of his face, even though the moon shone bright in the inky blackness of the night. But the light of the day had long since ebbed and dwindled to nothing, and the light and warmth of the sun had been replaced by the darkness and cold of the night.

But they were almost home.

The moonlight splashed down its watery white-silver glow onto the forest, illuminating it. The trees were silhouetted against the deep velvety sky. Fallen leaves littered the walkway, bathing it in dark red and orange, and Will stepped on them with a satisfying crunch. A lantern stood illuminating on the veranda, and the familiar yellow glow made the house feel warm and inviting. A brand-new flower pot to the right of the door was filled with pink and yellow chrysanthemums.

The metal of the doorknob was cold against his palm and he twisted it with ease, entering the dark living room. He stepped lightly over the threshold, pulling the door in a soft click behind him. He hung his cloak on one of the hooks in the wall, his bow and half-empty quiver next to it. The cabin was completely silent, no sounds emerging from the forest either. It was an unmanly hour, and Will supressed the habit of making coffee. He was tired, and didn't want to risk waking up Alyss.

So instead he carefully walked through the living room, towards the bedroom, avoiding all spots he knew would crack. He opened the door and closed it again, carefully and slowly, all so he wouldn't wake up his wife. He was greeted by another wave of coldness that ran through him, making him shiver once again.

He loosened his belt with the double scabbard, and laid it on the nightstand next to his side of the bed. A sliver of moonlight spilled into the room and onto his chest and shoulders as he changed into his night clothes. He had to bite his lips in order not to groan; the wound in his side could not yet bear any stretching.

But then, he finally lifted the covers, laid down and smoothed them down again, making sure as little as possible of Alyss' body heat would escape.

Will carefully rolled onto his side and looked at her. Her features were soft, her chest moved up and down slowly and she looked peaceful in the single beam of moonlight that illuminated her face. Her hair was messy from the sleeping, loose, rather than braided, like normally. But it was his Alyss.

Just as he yawned, his wife's eyes opened and she turned her head towards them. Her eyes were a soft silver in the moonlight, and for a moment, Will was speechless. She smiled.

"Hey." Her voice was soft, and full of sleep, but also sounded relieved.

"Hey." He grinned back, pressing a kiss on her forehead after. "I'm sorry for waking you up."

She laughed softly. "No you're not," she replied, her soft lips still pulled up into a smile. "You're sorry you didn't come home sooner." Will's lips were now pulled into a smile as well, and he played with one of the strings of her hair.

"I am."

The tip of her finger softly caressed over a long cut that ran along his jaw.

"You're hurt." His hand caught her finger and stopped it from running over the cut again.

"It's nothing." Her other hand found the bandage that was wrapped around his torso, and she looked at him, concern evident in her eyes.

"What happened?"

"It's nothing," he snapped.

Will threw back the covers and sat up, his legs dangling over the edge of the bed. He held his head in his hands, his eyes closed, so she couldn't see the coldness that radiated out of them.

Just as the first bite of col air creeped under his night-shirt, Alyss' hands moved around his middle, warm and soft. In seconds her body was moulded to his own, sharing her body heat as easily as she shared her heart.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

She said nothing but wrapped her hands around his strong, muscular body and hugged him close. A slow, and luxurious hug. Her chest rose and fell against his back, their breaths in unison.

"Are you okay?" she whispered in his ear, laying her chin on his shoulder.

He shook his head and sighed. "It's just been a long two weeks."

She made him around, so their faces were just a few centimetres apart. She stroked his hair out of his face, her hands aligning it.

"But now you're home."

She leaned in, so her forehead rested against his. They closed their eyes. "Thank you," she said, in barely more than a whisper.

"For what?" he replied, his voice low and soft.

"For always coming back to me." Her voice wavered, revealing the fear that went with either of them leaving. Both their eyes flicked up, away from the other person's lips and towards their eyes.

They stared at each other, deep into each other's eyes. Will's full of wonder and love, Alyss' full of love and passion. No words were spoken but a story of worthy of them was communicated.

Finally, their lips touched. Sparks flew in every direction, brighter than the stars in the dark night. The world was slowly disappearing around them, along with their worries, their troubles and their problems.

They pulled apart and took shaky, shallow breaths. Unable to contain themselves anymore, Will held Alyss' head in his hands and pulled her into a fiery and passionate kiss. Her hands worked their way around his body, feeling each crevasse, each line along his perfect physique.

Moments later they pulled apart. Alyss smiled lovingly at him, her soft hands finding their way to his face once more. She leaned in and landed a loving and intense kiss on his cold lips.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, gently rubbing her arm. Despite the heaviness in her stomach, it fluttered at the feeling of her body pressed against his. She sunk into the warmth of his side, appreciative of the simple gesture. His touch made the room warmer somehow, her future within its walls seeming a little less bleak.

She laid down her head on his shoulder, pulling up the bedsheets so they would cover them both. Will pressed a loving kiss on her blond hair, then rested his own head on hers. Their hands found each other.

A single beam of moonlight illuminated the couple, as they fell asleep together.

Alyss was right, Will realised.

He was home.