Chapter 59 - A Long Night

(Mark's POV - Fri. 8 May 2015)

"Alex...?"

My heart is thumping in my chest like it never has.

I have craved to see this name display on my phone for the past two weeks and I can hardly believe I just saw it before I picked the call.

At fucking last!

I had prepared myself for this moment, but the surprise hits me and my voice is barely a whisper. As I peek at Shannon, I realize that he's in no better state, his mouth gaping open and he seems to have a hard time breathing properly – and this time, it's not because of his blocked nose! However, what catches my attention are the sobs echoing in the phone.

"Alex...? Is it you, Baby?"

More sobs. Fuck! The worst scenarios form in my head from here. Is he aching? Has he been hurt?

"Alex, talk to me. Where are you? Are you okay?" I insist, trying to hide the panic in my voice.

"I- I'm... I'm so sorry..." he mumbles.

"Baby, it's not what I want to hear for now. Tell me that you're okay... I need to know where you are so I can come and pick you up," I reply firmly, quickly recovering my self-control.

More sobs again. Shit! I'm afraid he might hang up and he needs reassurance. I can't afford to scare him any further.

"Baby, I love you. Everything will be alright, don't worry. Just tell me where you are exactly," I say in my softest voice, only getting further whimpers. "Alex, are you hurt? Has something happened?"

"I... They... I'm scared they'll find me..." he eventually stutters.

"Who are you talking about, Baby? Has anyone tried to hurt you?" I ask, feeling rage course through my veins already while Shannon's eyes open widely and fear covers his face.

"Guys on the campus... I'm so scared... And... and... and... I'm so sorry," he replies, his voice breaking as I hear shuffling in the background.

"Alex, don't you dare hang up!" I exclaim. "Now tell me what happened!"

"Nothing really... I used a shower at one of the gyms on the campus... and the football team... arrived and thought they could... they could..." he stammers, and horrible images of a gang bang form in my head. "I escaped when their coach showed up... but... I had to meet them again tonight... and they chased me... I escaped again, but... I'm so scared they'll find me and I can't run anymore... I'm so tired... and so cold..."

The next second, I have disentangled from Shannon and stood up. It's not the best time to panic, so I regain my composure and quickly define all priorities.

"Baby, listen. I know you are in Champaign or Urbana, and you know it's a three-hour drive from Chicago, but I'll be with you as shortly as I can. Meanwhile, I need you to stay safe and I have an idea for that, but I need you to tell me where you are exactly," I say while rushing to our bedroom, with Shannon in my tracks.

"Why would you do that... I don't deserve you..." he mumbles in a barely audible voice, fueling my anger furthermore.

"Bullshit, Alex!" I yell, immediately regretting my tone because what he needs is comfort. "What you don't deserve is the situation you're in at the moment, Baby. Shannon and I love you so much and we want you back home..." I add more softly, glancing at Shannon who has followed me inside the walk-in closet.

"I love you, Pumpkin..." he sobs, leaning toward the phone and enhancing further whimpers from Alex. "Please tell Mark where you are..."

"Come on, Alex, let me know where you are..." I insist as I finish lacing my All Star shoes.