✔Prologue: "I believe in you."

Liv

I was drifting to sleep, counting the number of beeps the machinery made in the hospital room I was in. Jocelyn held me and rocked me gently to calm me. I had my eyes closed and was feeling quite shaken after my break up with Justin. It hurt but I knew I had to brave it out. Thankfully, Jocelyn was here to listen and comfort me and that was all I needed at that point: a friend, an ear and a shoulder.

A knock on the door made me open my eyes in an instant. In my mind, I had this image of Justin coming back through that door to convince me to stay with him and I was relieved to see that it was the doctor and not Justin because I had no more strength in me to argue again.

My goodness, the amount of strength it took to have to say goodbye... just thinking about it was enough to make me want to start crying again: his broken voice, his tears, his begging, the fact that he couldn't even look at me before he left...

He probably felt like I'd let him down and, the more I thought about it, the more I felt like I had too. I really wanted to have a future with him but my spirit wouldn't be at peace knowing that I was dragging him down. I wanted him to be better than before and he couldn't do that if he was holding onto us with me being as broken in spirit as I was.

"How are you feeling, Olivia?" Dr McGregor asked me.

"I'll be okay." I whispered.

"I've got some news that might cheer you up," the doctor smiled softly, "I'm discharging you."

Jocelyn thanked the doctor on my behalf and I zoned out as they began talking about medication and all of that.

I just couldn't believe that I wouldn't be going home to Justin. An uninvited thought of him finding another girl to love sent an unsettling feeling through my stomach and I hated to think about it but Becky's words were haunting me:

"Laugh if you want." Becky shrugged, "but you'll see. And then there is the constant interference of the media," she nodded her head in the direction of the journalists who were eyeing us, "other women who Justin will associate with: models, etcetera... who, no offence, look better... You will crumble, Olivia. Famous people always stick to their own. He will find someone in his own league..."

"Liv." Jocelyn snapped me out of my thoughts and I looked at her.

"Your meds." She pointed to the doctor who was holding a bag of them out to me as her face showed concern for me.

"Oh. Thank you." I croaked and took them to place them on my lap.

"You need to rest and relax, Olivia." Dr McGregor said. "You're zoning out and thinking too much. If you're not careful, you'll be back here before the end of the week."

"I'll make sure she stays calm and happy." Jocelyn promised the doctor.

"When can I go home?" I changed the subject.

"When you're ready." The doctor said, " but I don't want to see you back here, Olivia. Not any time soon, so please take care of yourself."

I nodded and put on a smile.

Dr McGregor asked to speak with Jocelyn outside and I was left alone to go through the medication I'd been prescribed. My anxiety meds had been topped up and then there were others that would make me drowsy, no doubt.

My phone rang in my bag on a chair near the window.

I wanted so badly to ignore it but I knew that there were other people who were worried about me: Mr Brown, Amanda... Amy, if she was still kissing my ass (but she wouldn't be genuinely concerned so she actually didn't count).