✔Seven: "I'm just happy to have my boy back."

Liv

I put down my glass of wine and licked my lips as I looked at my step-dad who was seated in front of me. I was having dinner with him after a successful book launch and, as much as I would've loved to be having dinner with my friends, I knew I had to hear just what my step-dad had come all this way to say to me.

Seeing him had made my day, I'll admit, but seeing him also made me feel otherwise because of how I felt about him after the incident with my mom.

We hadn't said much to each other since sitting down for this meal. He'd just told me how proud he was of me and how excited he'd been when he got the invitation in the mail.

"How's mom?" I picked up my fork to move a piece of tomato back and forth on my plate.

"She's... She's not as great as you might think she is. She and I didn't agree on my coming to your launch so..."

"She tried to stop you." I looked at my step-dad.

"Yes. But I think she wanted to come. Her pride just gets the best of her on most occasions."

"Did she say why she's mad at me?"

He shook his head.

"It's a lot of things, I think." He said.

"She couldn't just put all of that aside to come see her daughter take a step into the next chapter of her life? I thought she wanted me to succeed and be happy."

"She does."

"Then how's a grudge more important than my own success, dad?"

"Olivia," My step-dad reached over to hold my hand, "I'll never understand your mother's logic. All I know is that she truly wants what's best for you, even if she doesn't show that in the best of ways."

"All I know is that she was all for my relationship with Justin and now that he and I are no longer together, she hates me."

"You can't assume that."

"Exactly why are you here, dad? Are you here to defend her?"

"I'm here to support my daughter."

"Then say something that proves that. You always try to tame the fire or avoid it. Why didn't you call her out when she was gushing at Justin that evening? Better yet, why didn't you refuse to come?"

"I didn't want to embarrass her in front of Justin but I did talk to her when we got back to our hotel."

"Well, she didn't hear you."

"You've known your mother longer than I have, Liv. Has there ever been a time when she listened to anybody other than whatever voice she has in her head?" My step-dad asked seriously.

I sighed, realising that he was right.

"I don't know why everything she does makes me feel like I'm not good enough." I frowned.

"You're perfect just as you are. Anybody would be proud to have you as their baby, Livie. Look at you. You're not even 30 but you're so successful at a career that isn't even traditional. You have a gift."

"Why won't mom say that to me?"

"Give her some time to realise it. She will."

I shook my head.

"You don't know how painful it was to hear the news that my book was being published but couldn't share that with the woman who gave birth to me." I said, "if I can't share moments like that with my own mom..."