✔Twenty Three: "Do you think maybe it's a sign?"

Liv

Things seemed to have gotten worse since my episode after my visit to Dr Eve's. My mom and Justin constantly checked on me to make sure I was alright and I tried not to let it get to me but all the attention was making it hard for me to breathe again, even though I knew their intentions were good.

I stared into space as I put on my shoes. I was getting ready to go see Pattie about the baby shower and my schedule, among other things.

As I started putting on my earrings, Justin walked into the room and was surprised to see me dressed up.

I had been in sweats and socks over the past few days with my hair protected by a beanie or a head scarf. This was the first time in about four days that I'd taken a moment to make an effort to look good.

"Where are you off to?" He asked me.

In his hands was a steaming mug and I wondered what his plans for us for today were. I would've loved to stay in again and just do nothing but it dawned on me that I was now 20 weeks pregnant and Dr Eve's voice kept ringing in my head, talking about '28 weeks prior to gestation', so I had to get a move on with things.

"I wanna go see your mom and talk to her about the baby shower and work." I got up and went to straighten myself out in front of a mirror.

"I'd rather you gave her a call, Olivia. Really, it's cold outside and you might get sick." He said.

"I got my flu vaccine, I'm good." I fixed my hair.

"That's not the point."

"Time is ticking, Justin. I want to get cracking with things so I can sit and wait for the baby to come. I have at least five weeks, I'm hoping, to do what I need to do. Let me do it."

"And what are we talking about, exactly?"

"The baby shower and the book tour."

"You said you wanted to push it forward."

"Or I could finish it in a matter of two weeks?"

"Okay, we should've had this discussion before today."

"I just want to talk to my manager about it first."

"You can call your manager, Liv. I don't see why it's necessary to drive all the way--"

"Can we not argue about this, please?"

"I wasn't arguing. I am worried about you, can't you see that? What's so important, you need to drive all the way across town to talk to my mom?"

"I just want some air, okay? Staying home all the time... If it's not you, checking on me every two seconds, it's my mom."

"We're looking out for you."

"And I get that but I said I was feeling better and I need you to trust me. Five weeks is what I'm hoping will be enough for me to do anything I want. That's not enough time."

"And that's exactly why you should be resting and taking it easy at home."

"I've been home for four days straight, doing nothing."

"You were upset the whole time. I just want to cheer you up a little. I'll get my mom to come over."

"Justin, I need to have a look at the ballroom at her hotel to see if I'd like to have the baby shower there. I need to go there to decide."

Justin sighed.

"Please just... I won't be late. I'll be back before you know it." I promised him, "you can even drive me and pick me up then. How's that?"