✔Twenty Five: "It sucks to be us sometimes."

Liv

I hated hospitals. Each one of them, no matter how modern it was made to look, I hated them all.

As if things couldn't have gotten worse with Amy showing up at my house for my baby shower, my step-dad goes and gets involved in an accident.

Justin held my hand and I held my mom's as we waited for the doctor to come and give us some news. My mom was a mess beside me and I was trying to stay strong for the both of us because we didn't know how badly hurt my step-dad was.

"I should've insisted he come with me when I left home." My mom kept saying as she rocked herself back and forth in her seat.

"Mom, I told you, you can't keep blaming yourself for things you have no control over." I told her.

"I could've, Liv. If I hadn't been so fixed on getting here-- I could've asked him to come with me."

"To do what? Sit around while you and Ms Pattie planned my shower? Mom, you're going to work yourself up. Let's wait for the doctor to tell us what happened."

"Olivia's right, Ms Shirley" Justin said, "No news is usually good news."

My mom sighed and rested her head on my shoulder and we waited for the doctor in silence. Just about ten minutes later, a doctor walked into my step-dad's room with a nurse and they were in there for a good while. It seemed like forever, to be honest. Even my mom whispered a prayer in the meantime.

The doctor soon came out with the nurse who walked past without as much as glancing at us, and the doctor introduced himself as Dr Lopez.

"Please give me some good news about my husband." My mom said to the doctor as he clutched onto a file.

"He's going to be okay." Dr Lopez said with a smile.

"Thank God." My mom and I said at once.

"What's the problem then?" Justin asked.

"Yes, what happened?" My mom asked too.

"The taxi cab that your husband was in was knocked from the back by another vehicle," Dr Lopez explained, "it was knocked so hard, part of the taxi ended up underneath a bus."

"Oh my goodness!" My mom whispered.

"What... what happened to the cab driver and the bus passengers?" I asked.

"The taxi driver is in ICU." Dr Lopez frowned, "but nobody was on the bus except the driver of it and he only got some minor bruises."

"S-So my husband?" My mom asked again.

"He had a concussion when he arrived but he's fine, as far as head injuries, but he's hurt his neck and got a couple bruises and scratches."

"Can we see him now?" I asked.

"Of course." Dr Lopez said, "but he might be feeling a bit drowsy. We've given him some medication for the pain."

"Thank you, doctor." My mom said.

As Dr Lopez walked off, the three of us went to see how my step-dad was doing. If it wasn't for the brace around his neck and a couple of stitches on his face, I'd have said he was really relaxed. He was flipping through channels on the tv that was placed in the corner of the room and he seemed unphased by what had happened to him.

"Hi, dad." I smiled softly at him.

"Freddy!" My mom hurried to his side to give him a hug.

"Hello." He said to all of us as my mom continued to smother him.