✔Thirteen: "Life is what you make of it."

Justin

My mom and I stood quietly near the kitchen entrance, looking at Liv with worry. She'd been zoning out quite frequently at random times and it had started to worry me.

Liv stood at the island with a glass of water at her lips. It was as if she was frozen, obviously deep in thought, and this had been happening for a number of days now.

It worried me even more because I had to go away this weekend for a number of reasons, one of them being work. I couldn't leave her alone in this big house and that was why I'd made arrangements with my mom to take her out for some air today and for Jocelyn to keep her company this weekend while I was busy.

"She must still be upset." My mom whispered to me as we watched Olivia.

"About the baby." I frowned.

"She's not over it yet."

"I didn't expect her to be," I whispered back, "I just wanted her to be true to her feelings and let her go through the emotions but she keeps trying to assure me that she's happy."

"It's not easy losing a child, Justin. Whether or not you knew about it." My said.

I felt horrible about having to leave but this was something I'd put on my calendar a while ago.

"I'll keep an eye on her and her friend will too. Don't worry." My mom rubbed my back.

I shook my head, still watching Olivia, and my frown deepened.

"I'll get her to talk if it's the last thing I do." My mom promised.

I trusted in her so I nodded and hoped for the best.

My mom gave me a warm smile and stepped into the kitchen to greet Liv.

She blinked and put on a smile at the sight of my mom.

"I'm here to take you out for some air." My mom said to her.

Liv looked over at me as I was leaning against the doorway. I too had to wear a smile on my face but I was truly hurt that she wasn't sharing her feelings with me.

"We can go for a spa day. How does that sound? Some pampering for a mommy to be." My mom tried to sound enthusiastic.

"Okay." Liv responded softly. She put her glass down and looked at me again.

My mom got the sense that Liv wanted to talk to me so she excused herself and I went over to Liv.

"What's the matter?" I held her face in my hands and looked into her eyes in search of an answer.

"I'm just tired," she tried to smile, "My mind is working overtime, that's all it is."

"Don't lie to me, Olivia. I want to know."

She looked down but I lifted her face by her chin so she'd look at me again.

"Do you have to go?" She asked me.

"Unfortunately. But it's only for the weekend. I'll be back on Sunday."

"I miss you already." She chuckled lightly.

"I miss you too. But you'll probably forget about me and about everything when Jocelyn shows up later."

"Probably." Liv giggled.

"Don't shut me out, please, Olivia."

"I just don't want you worrying about me constantly. We'll talk when you get back, I promise."

"About everything?"

"About everything." She smiled at me.

I smiled too and pecked her lips a few times before she kissed me properly.