✔Four: "What's wrong with you?"

Justin

After Becky had paid me a visit, I'd kept myself busy by writing some more songs. I literally had to be a pest to Scooter to get me into the studio again, even by myself, just to not find myself in another situation with Becky in my hotel room.

I knew her really well. She wasn't one to give up easily and she wasn't one to take a hit lying down. I'd obviously upset her with what I said to her and I knew that she wasn't going to let it go. My instincts were telling me to stay awake when it came to her but it had already been over two weeks since she stopped by and I was getting tired of sleeping with one eye open.

Scooter had gotten some producers together once again to put together some beats for me to listen to and I sat on a small couch in a studio listening to each one and debating about them with everybody in the room.

I liked being busy with a craft I enjoyed doing. It kept me on my toes; it kept me happy and I was in need of that. Usually my mom's cooking cheered me up, but she was out doing stuff for Liv since she was on a break from her own book activities.

I'd asked my mom to send my regards to Olivia. I'd learned that she blocked my number and it hurt because I didn't know why. Maybe my mom was right about me having to use this time to focus on my music, but I couldn't completely focus on it because I had Liv haunting me. Just the other day when I went to see my mom and she asked me to make us some tea, I'd gone and made it the way Liv likes hers without even realising it. I still had Empire marathons, only this time I had them by myself, on my laptop. I'd started the series from the very beginning to relive the moments with Liv. I was pretty sad, to be honest. It made me want to laugh at myself.

"How's this one, JB?" One of the producers played a catchy beat but I hadn't quite written anything to match it.

I bobbed my head to the beat, liking it, and tried to quickly think up some words to go with it because disposing of a beat this good would be stupid.

"It don't make no sense 'less I'm doin' it with you..." I sang softly to myself, still bobbing my head.

Scooter began to smile.

"You're loving it, aren't you?" He said.

I cracked a smile too.

"Keep it playing. I'm going to write something down quickly." I told them.

The atmosphere in the room went from serious to relaxed and happy and it was helpful to physically feel that because it made it easy for me to just write without doubting the words I was putting down.

After an hour of having that same beat on repeat, of me changing my mind as I edited what I'd penned down, of no speaking, I was in the booth, singing the first verse and chorus I'd written down.

'Oh, yeah yeah.
It don't make no sense 'less I'm doin' it with you.

The sun don't set the same 'less you're watching it go down with me, oh no.
Bed won't sleep the same 'less you're waking up in there with me.
Oh my heart's a vacant house when you're gone away, it's so empty
And love don't make sense when it's empty, oh no...'

Scooter and the producers seemed to be liking it so far, giving me thumbs up as I went along.

I eventually got out of the booth to hear what it sounded like when it was mashed up and it made me smile when it sounded just as I'd hoped.

We'd been so focused on celebrating my progress, we hadn't heard Becky walk into the studio.

After the song had been played back, she applauded and we all looked at her.