✔Twenty Nine: "I'm not going anywhere without my son."

Justin

10 hours. That was how long Liv had been in labour and not even the epidural she'd been given hours ago was taking effect.

I watched helplessly as she leaned against her bed in the maternity ward with both hands gripping on the covers while she bowed her head, holding back another cry. Her face was damp with sweat and tears and all I could do was rub her back or hold her hand.

"Can somebody help her?!" I yelled at nobody in particular, seeing as we were the only two people in the room.

"I wanna push." Liv took a sharp breath.

"You just got checked for dilation an hour ago, baby. Noah's not ready--"

"Excuse me, do you want to give birth, Justin?!" Liv snapped, "get me the doctor and tell him I'm going to start pushing and I can't help it."

I ran out of the room, past our parents who were waiting nervously in the waiting area, and I went in search of any nurse who looked like they had nothing to do.

"My wife feels ready to push." I told the nurse who'd taken Liv to the ward when we first arrived. She was standing with another nurse for a conversation.

"I'll be right over." She told me.

I didn't wait for her to follow me, I had to get back to Liv to make sure she was okay.

"Justin," Shirley walked to me as I was about to make it past them, "how is she?"

"I think she's just about ready to deliver." I said.

"Give her kisses for me."

"Okay," I continued to Liv's room where she was now lying on the bed with the help of that doctor I couldn't find.

"What are you doing?" I asked the doctor.

"She can't push yet. I can't feel the baby's head yet so unless Olivia wants to tear herself in half and put your baby in danger, I have to sedate her."

I looked at Liv and my heart shattered. I gave the doctor the go ahead and went to sit by Liv's side to hold her hand as she got sedated.

"Hm..." She hummed as the doctor put the needle in her arm.

Liv's grip on my hand weakened and she closed her eyes.

"How long is she going to be like this? Is she sleeping?" I asked the doctor.

"Just until her water breaks. The sedative has just helped her relax; it's lowered her adrenaline rush and her heartbeat, just a tad bit. She's sleepy but still conscious and when the time comes, she'll be able to deliver with very little effort."

"Why didn't you give this to her before?"

"It's a last resort, Mr Bieber."

I rolled my eyes and looked down at Liv who seemed peaceful for the first time in a while.

"What happens now?" I asked the doctor as I swiped off Liv's tears with my thumb.

"We wait for her water to break."

It seemed to take a while for Liv's water to break. When it finally did, she seemed unphased by it, still being under sedation. The rest of us, on the other hand, we're back on our feet and I tried my hardest to stay out of the way as the nurses brought in an incubator and the doctor got ready to deliver Noah.

"Olivia, sweetheart?" I held her hand again and watched as she struggled to get her eyes to stay open.

"She's pushing." The doctor told the nurses, "standby."