✔Thirty One: "How did you do it?"

Liv

Justin and I quietly walked towards Noah's incubator in his new room that he shared with a few other premies. I'd missed him so much and it hadn't even been a full 24 hours.

Noah was laying in his incubator, still asleep, and I gushed at the sight of him. If it wasn't for his little chest rising and falling, I'd have worried, but seeing him looking so peaceful put my mind at ease.

"He's so cute." I smiled at Justin.

"Like his mommy." He smiled back.

"I disagree. I think he looks like you.
I mean, look at those curls. My hair has seriously tight coils, naturally."

"And now I realise that I've never seen my wife's natural hair." Justin pursed his lips.

I giggled lightly.

"You will... One day." I promised before looking back at Noah who had began moving in his incubator.

"He's waking up." Justin's face lit up as we both watched little Noah blink to get his eyes to adjust to the light in the room.

"Oh!" I gushed as his little mouth opened wide for a yawn.

His big blue eyes landed on us and I squealed with happiness.

"He has my mom's eyes." Justin smiled.

"Our eyes weren't cute enough, Noah?" I cooed, joking as if Noah had a choice when it came to his eye colour.

Justin chuckled lightly beside me.

"I want him to come home more than ever now." I told Justin, this time I walked around the incubator to get my hands in so I could hold my boy's hand.

Noah responded by by wrapping his hand around my finger and that never failed to make my heart flutter.

Justin was gazing lovingly at Noah from the glass of the incubator. He wasn't moving, only taking in the sight of the little person he and I had created the day we got back together after I'd stupidly broken up with him.

Noah had somewhat become our symbol of new beginnings since he was conceived the day Justin and I took a second shot at our relationship. Nothing made me prouder than the thought that Noah was truly made out of love. He was my dream baby and his brothers and sisters that Justin and I would make in the future would be my dream babies too.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked Justin.

"Just about... how weird love is. We didn't know about him some months ago; didn't know how he looked but we loved him."

"That's why they say that you don't know real love until you have a baby." I smiled and reached for his hand to hold.

Justin kissed mine before making his way to my side of the incubator to have a moment of physical contact with Noah.

We pretty much spent hours just staring at Noah-- smiling at him, being amazed by the little things he did and just enjoying his presence-- before leaving for home. My parents went to see Noah when we got home since Justin had promised me that someone would always be close to Noah, for my sanity's sake.

After getting myself a fruit from the kitchen, I sighed deeply as I sat in the sun room to put in an entry in my pregnancy journal about Noah's birth.

The weather had become quite dull to welcome the Christmas season. Outside, it was gray and my sun room wasn't much of a sun room as it used to be. I soaked up the little bit of sunshine that shone through anyway as I penned down all the things that I remembered from bringing Noah into the world, leaving out details of my arguments with Becky (who I named 'the lady', in my journal, because Noah didn't need to know all that). I reread everything I wrote maybe twice before I felt satisfied with the things that I did remember. The sedative that I'd been given was worse than any drug, in my opinion-- not that I'd ever tried drugs but, it wiped most of my memory clean, and that was why I'd asked Justin to write down his version of events in the journal too.