✔One: "For better, for worse"

Liv

I felt as though I was dreaming as I sat in a boardroom, staring at the six book cover possibilities that kendal, Naomi's graphic designer friend, had created for me. They were laid out in front of me on the desk, waiting for me to make my decision, as Naomi and Kendal sat next to each other on the opposite side of the desk.

I couldn't decide. Each one was just as beautiful as the next and I felt I'd need a while to pick one which really spoke to me.

I knew from the very beginning that I wouldn't want to be on the cover of my book but I'd been hoping that one of mine and Justin's features would've made it onto my cover. Maybe his tatted arm and my hand flaunting my promise ring, or maybe just parts of our faces. However, since he and I were no longer together, that wouldn't be possible, so my only options weren't quite as personal as I'd hoped they would be.

I slowly picked up the white cover which had an animated image of me sitting at the bottom. I was holding my little animated book while dressed in a playful pastel pink and white dress which Kendal said represented my days at Brown's Bakery. Above that image were some fading rose petals which were drying up, and the words 'For Better, For Worse' seemed to tie the images together beautifully.

"This one." I smiled at the cover.

"I was hoping you'd go with that one." Kendal smiled at me.

"It's me. It's so me." I showed it to Naomi proudly as if she hadn't seen the cover before.

"I agree." Naomi smiled.

I hadn't smiled this hard in a while and it sent chills down my spine when I consciously thought of that fact.

I'd been mostly miserable over the last couple of months. The more this reality of me finally being published sat heavy on my shoulders, the more stressed I seemed to get. I was constantly writing and editing if I wasn't working or dosing off from the medication prescribed to me.

My days at Brown's Bakery weren't as exciting as they used to be. Mr Brown was constantly worried about me so I couldn't work usual shifts-- not to mention the fact that I no longer had a car since the fire department broke into it to rescue me and I didn't have enough money to repair or replace Nancy, and then there was the fact that my break up with Justin made more news than when we were together so I was off work more than I wanted to be. I'd gone from working full time, averagely four times a week to once, and that was usually half a day. I shouldn't complain because it meant more writing time but, I loved working there and I missed the girls sorely, even Amy's annoying ass.

"We'll run with this one then." Naomi clasped her hands together and Kendal got to stacking the covers that I didn't choose.

All I could do was smile at Naomi.

Before I could ask if our meeting was adjourned, she invited me to her office and I followed her there, taking in every element of the building as I made my way over.

Naomi had flown me to New York where she was based. I'd been here for almost a week to do things like photo shoots for my book cover and work through some with Kendal so she could get an idea of what I was feeling. It worked out beautifully: I got some time away from my apartment which seemed to dampen my mood the longer I stayed in it, and I took the final step of completing my book.

'For better, for worse'. Because I loved Justin when he was at his worst and I loved him just as much at his best. Because he loved me when I was just a girl working in a bakery and he wanted me to be the best author I could be. Because... I still prayed that heaven would grant me my dream to exchange vows with Justin when the time was right, hoping, of course, that he'd still love me when we met again. That was the only title I could give my book. I'd spent weeks trying to think up other suitable names. Heck, at a little slumber party we had at Amanda's place, I got her and Jocelyn to throw suggestions into a soup mug for me to draw. They weren't cute at all and none of them sent a feeling of hope through my veins.