My roommate

"Randhir! Pagal ho gaye ho kya?" I exclaim.

"Pagal mai nahi tum ho gayi ho. Mai baat kar raha tha na. Kyu beech me boli tum? Mai manaa leta unko. Kahi aur reh leta mai" he says in a low voice as if controlling his anger.

I try to get away but he pulls me again.

"No you don't get away that easily Sanyukta Agarwal! Kyu kiya tumne aise? I know you don't wanna share the room with me. Fir?" he asks pinning me with his gaze.

I sigh. "Okay fine, mai nahi chahti thi ke hum saath rahe. But unhone kaha ke aadhi fees hi bharni padegi jiske wajah se I agreed. Mai iss college me scholarship se aayi hu aur college fees ke liye I got concession. But fir bhi hostel fees toh pure bharne padenge and vo bhi bahot hai. Aur agar uske liye bhi concession mila toh meri daadi ka bojh thoda kam ho jaayega" I say in a soft voice, feeling exposed and vulnerable and look down.

"Daadi? But what about your mom dad?" he asks with his voice etched with concern.

"They died in a car crash when I was 5 years old" I tell him and the horrific memory comes to my mind to haunt me.

I swallow the lump in my throat and try to keep my tears at bay.

Kaash aap yaha hote mumma papa. Fir life me koi problem nahi hoti.

At that thought a tear escapes my eye. I hate crying in front of anyone.

Randhir tips my chin up forcing me to look at him. He is looking at me with a very soft expression.

Gone is the teasing, annoying brat, this guy in front of me seems like a real softie.

He touches my cheek tenderly with his thumb, wiping away my tear. But he doesn't remove his hand away after that. No guy has ever looked at me like that and has never been so close.

My heartbeat gets faster.

I should feel uneasy and awkward but I don't. In fact this feels right. His touch and closeness is kind of caring and not in a bad way. I want to look away but his chocolatey eyes have me transfixed.

We just stare at each other for... Seconds? Minutes? I seriously don't have any idea. But as my heart starts racing more fast, I break the contact and look away scared that he might hear the thumping of my heart.

Randhir removes his hand and pushes them into the pockets of his jeans and steps back. I smile at him gratefully that he didn't push the topic and walk towards the door.

Before going out I look back at him for a final time and he gives me a breathtaking smile.

God he is so handsome!

"Um I'll see you later in our room" I say and he just nods.

Our room.

Maybe it will not be so hard to be his roommate.

________

"Kar kya rahe ho tum dono" I say picking up one scarf lying on the table.

I am in Tanya and Vidushi's room and the whole room is a complete mess with clothes lying all over the floor.

Is that a dress dangling from the fan? Gosh!

"Kal party hai and I don't have any proper dress" Tanya whines.

"Ha vo dikh raha hai" I reply sarcastically looking around.

"Shut up and help us" says Vidushi.

"Jab tak mere pet me kuch jaata nahi, mai kuch help nahi kar paaungi. Pehle khana aur baad me baaki sab. Lunch time ho gaya hai waise bhi" I say and they nod.

We three go to have lunch and sit on that same place. It's become our permanent place. I tell them about all that happened in the office omitting the classroom part. That is a little too much.

Vidushi asks me whether I want to exchange rooms. Her being his sister, it'd be better like that. But I know she doesn't want to share her room with her brother for the college years. Mera bhai hota toh mai toh usse chhutkaara paane ki hi koshish karti. I deny her offer and she assures me that her brother is not a bad person and he will not do anything to make me uncomfortable.

I believe her.

But she also warns me that he is an 'annoying monkey who thinks he is the best and is an idiot who knows nothing other than making fun of others'.

Yes, those were her exact words.

Later I help them choose their dresses and we also do a facial. They both are really fun and we get to know more about each other.

Vidushi tells Tanya about that hot guy she saw on the first day and I and Tanya both decide to help her find him tomorrow at the fresher's party.

"Tum kya pehnogi madam?" asks Vidushi.

"Mere paas jyada dresses nahi hai. So mera fixed hai" I say with a smile.

"Ok dinner pe milte hai. Bye." I say and go to my room.

I enter the room and Randhir is eating the laddoos given by my daadi.

He is really a monkey. Couldn't he at least ask?

"Hi" he says with his mouth full.

"Maine vo Vidushi aur Tanya ke liye rakhe the Randhir" I say snatching the jar from his hands.

It's empty!

Empty!

"Randhir!!"

"Sorry. Bahot tasty the. Pata hi nahi chala kab khatam ho gaye. Daadi ko thanks bolna meri taraf se ha" he says licking his fingers and I just look at him.

Saare laddoo khaa gaya ye bhukkad. Chhota Bheem!

Before I say anything he looks at his watch and gets up.

"7 miss calls? Oh shit 6 bajj gaye. 5 baje Ishika se milna tha" he says hurriedly and runs out.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Bichari Ishika.

Aur bichari mai bhi. I still can't believe he ate all the laddoos.

And I thought that it would be no big deal being his roommate.

Annoying monkey who thinks he is the best but is an idiot who knows nothing other than making fun of others.

Ugh! So true!

__________

Who all are excited for the fresher's party?? And do you think Randhir is a real softie from inside. Well he is a tease but I love him like that!