Break up

The door opens and I cautiously step inside. Where is Randhir?

The question vanishes when I look around the room. Randhir's room. He has spent his life here with so many memories. It's the size of my living room. Hmm..

The colour of the walls is navy blue and just in front of the balcony is the bed. To the right is a TV unit and below it is a huge shelf consisting of games and movie CDs. Some trophies are kept above the small book shelf beside his study table. But my eyes stop to gaze the moment I see to the left. Wow..

There are so many pictures of Randhir on the pin board. I take a look at them closely. So many of them from the time he was small.

Many of them are with his family, at the Taj Mahal, pyramids of Egypt, the great wall of China.. wow.. he has been to so many beautiful locations. There are many from his birthday celebrations. My baby has always been cute.

In one picture he is dressed up in a school uniform, all cute and chubby and is laughing at Vidushi who is crying. Aww.. first day of school. Then there is one where he is just around 3 years old and it seems like he is planting a tree, with his clothes and face splattered with mud. He always wanted to make the world a better place My eyes fill up with tears. Again.

I turn around and spot Randhir leaning on the door frame watching me intently with a grin. In a blink I am in his arms and he is hugging me tightly. I lift my arms to hug him back.. No!

No. I have to do my part now. "Mujhe letter aa gaya Sanyukta. I will be working for the Helping Hands Institution!!" he says still not leaving me from his embrace. I sigh. It's time.

I struggle out from his embrace and give him a blank expression. "Um ok good" I respond. He frowns.

"Ok good? Aren't you happy baby?" he asks and I just shrug.

"Yes I am happy. Waise kitne saal tak karoge ye tum? I hope for not more than two years. That much time is enough to help people right? Fir tum koi achhi job karoge. Hai na?" I say.

"What?? Are you serious? Mujhe ye lifetime karna hai Sanyukta. You know that!"

"No I don't" I snap back. "Randhir maine bahot socha iss baare me, aur mujhe ek stable future chahiye. Bachpan se jis haalaat me rahi hu, I know the importance of money. Sach bolu toh I was glad ke tumhe letter nahi aaya, laga ke ab tumhari akkal thikaane aayegi aur tum koi achhi job ke liye apply karoge. But.. letter aa gaya" I say with a look of disgust and Randhir looks at me bewildered.

"What the hell are you saying! Have you lost your mind? You bloody supported me to do this and now that I have achieved it, you are asking me to leave it. Ye kya chal raha hai? Sach bataao Sanyukta why are you behaving like this?"

"Tab mujhe akkal nahi thi but ab aa gayi hai. I mean sab log kitni baate karte hai Randhir humaare baare me ke mujhe itni achhi job mil gayi and tum social work karoge. I feel really embarrassed. Tum kuch aur karo please."

"Kuch aur karo? KUCH AUR KARO? Are you fucking kidding me. You know I can't leave this!"

I take a long pause, preparing myself to say the next words without bursting out crying.

"Then I'm leaving you. Lets break up."

He looks at me.. just looks at me. I keep my face as expressionless as possible. I can't afford to break down now. Please just let it go Randhir. I'm doing this for you. It's like something is going inside his head and he is trying to join the pieces. He grabs my face lightly and I gulp.

"Mujhe nahi pata ye tum kyu kar rahi ho. Mujhe achhi tarah se pata hai kuch toh problem hai. I know you well. I know tum ye dil se nahi bol rahi ho. Kya baat hai Sanyukta? Tell me please" he asks me in a soft voice.