Epilogue

Daadi places the ghungat on my forehead carefully and I finally look at myself in the mirror. I gasp. The woman staring back at me is definitely someone else. I slowly stand up and look at the the bride standing in front of me.

"Oh my god Sanyukta! Tum iss duniya ki sabse khoobsurat dulhan ho!" Tanya whispers beside me in awe. I nod my head slowly not believing that this beautiful woman is me.

I am wearing a green bridal lehenga which is filled with diamond embroidery and a red blouse. My hair is tied up in a braided updo with one rose pinned up to the side. The make up is not too heavy but it is enough to enhance my features. Perfect!

Daadi kisses my forehead and her eyes fill with tears as she looks at me lovingly

Daadi kisses my forehead and her eyes fill with tears as she looks at me lovingly. "Meri bachhi toh bahot badi ho gayi hai" she says wiping away a lone tear that escapes her eye. I hug her and blink back my tears not wanting to spoil the makeup.

Tanya and the other two beauticians leave the room giving us privacy.

"Daadi aap sure ho? Randhir aur mujhe koi problem nahi hai. Balki hume achha lagega if you stay with us" I say. She shakes her head.

"Nahi. Humari iss baare me baat ho gayi na Sanyu. Mujhe wahi rehna hai. Mai khush rahungi waha sach me" she says.

"Chalo ab ladko walo ka swaagat karna hai. Mai aadhe ghante me tumhe Lene aati hu. Thoda shaanti se baith jaao.. kuch jarurat ho toh bulana mujhe" she says and lightly touches my cheek and then cracks her knuckles so that mujhe kisi ki nazar na lage. It's a daadi thing!

Daadi seems happy. So does everyone. I still remember the day when Randhir shifted to Pune. Everything was back to normal.

The orphanage that Randhir started here is a going really well. Daadi loves spending time there. In the beginning she used to just go once or twice a week to read stories to the children there and just spend time talking with them. But now it's as if she can't spend a day without them.

She loves all the children dearly and enjoys being there. Now that I am getting married, she has decided to permanently stay there with the children. I and Randhir, both insisted her to stay with us but she is adamant. Well if she's happy, then I am happy!

I look at the clock and it's almost 4.30pm. The pandit ji wants us in the mandap at 5pm sharp. I am feeling so excited and what not. I am fidgeting with the ring that Randhir gave me 3 months ago. That day was something I'll never ever forget. I still remember it clearly....

*2 months ago*

I close my tiffin box and keep it in my bag as I go to wash my hands. It's lunch break and I have to go to my class in 5 minutes. I give a small smile to Mr. Tanwar and he smiles back. Wait, what?

Mr. Tanwar is the most strict teacher in this school and he never smiles. Like never ever. I falter in my steps and awkwardly leave the staffroom. That was something different.