The phone call

It's him.

The same eyes that expressed all the feelings that he had. The same arms that held me in happiness and sorrow. The same lips that made me feel loved, which were so addicting.

It's Randhir Singh Shekhawat.

I stand back on my feet with my eyes wide open and my jaw touching the floor. He too is shocked to see me but he quickly masks it up with a blank face.

"Sanyukta madam" someone calls out and I turn to see the peon dada panting near the staircase. "Chalo madam.. jaldi.. pro.. program ki announcement ho gayi.... Jaldi bulaya hai aapko... Mai bhaag ke aaya.. chaliye" he says.

I turn but Randhir is already gone. I see a faint shadow of him going down the hallway. What did just happen!

Now is not the time Sanyukta! I quickly pick up the CD and my cell phone and rush downstairs. The program starts and my students have the first performance. I cheer for them and try to keep away the image of someone from coming again and again into my head.

Was it just a hallucination? No. Definitely not. I can feel his hand imprints on my waist where he was holding me.

What the hell is he doing here! And why did he just go away like that. Doesn't he remember me? How stupid Sanyukta! Ofcourse he does. That's why he was shocked when he saw you. Aur waise bhi jo insaan aapko teen saal use kar ke chhod de usse koi kaise bhul sakta hai, I think sourly.

There are some more performances and I try, really try hard, to not look around and search for his face again but I can't help it. It's been one and a half year. What is he doing here? Has he come looking for me? Impossible. I betrayed him. He hates me now, I am sure.

But then why is he here? He was working for the Helping Hands Institution. Has he come alone? Shit, maybe he is here with a date. He obviously must have moved on. Maybe he got married!!

I start freaking out but then I remember that we are just 23 now. Randhir always wanted to build up his career first.

My phone rings and it's that number again. Shit maybe it's Randhir. Oh my god oh my god! I quickly go inside a classroom and pick up the phone.

"Hello?"

Someone coughs on the other side and clears his throat. "Sanyukta?"

Oh finally he spoke! So he is not mute. This is not Randhir's voice. But it sounds familiar.

"Yes?"

"Mai.. mai.. Harshvardhan Shekhawat bol raha hu. Randhir ka papa".

Now this, I was not expecting. To say that I am shocked would be the understatement of the year. The man that hates me and destroyed my life is calling me. What does he want now?

"Hello?? Hello.. hello Sanyukta?"

"Err.. yes.. yes."

"Randhir tumhare school me aa raha hai aaj. Kya vo aa gaya? Kya tum usse mili?"

Oh, so it's all about this.

"Sir, maine usse yaha nahi bulaya hai. Will you stop blaming me for each and everything that happens in his life. Aapke wajah se I started a new life here, leaving everything behind and now that accidentally Randhir is here, you stalk me and are now threatening me?" I don't know from where all the courage comes in me to speak to him like that. But it's just that I am tired of always being the culprit in his eyes. What have I done to deserve so much hate?

"Nahi.. nahi Sanyukta. Vo baat nahi hai" he says on the other line and starts coughing heavily again.

"Mai ab jo bol raha hu please dhyaan se suno. Please. Randhir ko kaise bhi kar ke Mumbai laao. Please. Tum aur Randhir Mumbai aa jaao" he pleads on the other line.