Meeting the Parents

"Daadi ye Aryan hai, mera bahot achha dost aur ye Arikta aunty, Aryan ki mom. Inho ne hi mujhe khila khila ke moti kar diya hai" I say and chuckle.

"Namaste maa ji. Please baithiye na. Sanyukta bahot taarif karti hai hamesha aapki. Kya loge aap? Chai? Coffee?" Arikta aunty asks as we settle down on their couch.

"Nahi nahi. Abhi jaane ke liye already late ho gaye hai hum. Prize distribution ceremony 12 baje shuru hogi na" daadi says looking around the house.

"Mom aapko apni special chai pilaaye bina nahi jaane degi. Aur puch kya rahi ho mom, laao aap" Aryan says and sits in front of us and aunty hurries into the kitchen happily.

"Maine sunaa hai ke tum meri bachhi se bahot kaam karwaate the" daadi says staring pointedly at Aryan and his eyes widen and he starts panicking.

"Kaam? Sanyukta.. vo.. mai"

I and daadi start laughing at his shocked expression and he looks at us confusedly.

"Kya Aryan? Itna bataya hai tumhe daadi ke baare me fir bhi tum fass gaye?" I mock him and he slumps back on his seat.

"God! That was.. daadi mujhe abhi heart attack as jaata" Aryan says laughing lightly.

We get into an easy conversation talking about Panchgani. Daadi has loved this place and Aryan has promised her to show her all the best locations whenever she feels like visiting here.

When aunty arrives with the tea, we talk about the boutique and drink the chai which I have grown to love. After about half an hour we decide to leave and Aryan offers to drop us.

We get down and thank Aryan. "Beta jaise hi Mumbai aaoge pehle humare ghar aana. Jab tak tumhare ghar ka finalize nahi hota humare saath reh sakte ho" Daadi offers.

"Thanks daadi but mai rent pe apartment lene wala hu. Vo bhi aapke ghar ke paas hi hai. But mai subah shaam aate rahunga aapko disturb karne" Aryan says and bends down to hug her.

"Tumhari height toh Amitabh Bachchan jaisi hai." Daadi says and we all start laughing. Then Aryan turns towards me as I wear my graduation gown and cap. He looks at me proudly and straightens my cap.

"Look at you, looking so grown up" Aryan says grabbing my shoulders and looking at me with a smile.

"You mean mai aunty lag rahi hu!?" I say with a straight face.

"I guess you will never learn to take compliments" Aryan rolls his eyes and pulls me in a hug. I chuckle in his chest and pull away.

"I'm gonna miss you. Jaldi Mumbai aao ok?" I say. He cups his ear and bends forward. "Kya tumne abhi ye kaha ke tum mujhe miss karogi? Zor se bolo maine sunaa nahi"

I swat his arm. "Get lost" I say rolling my eyes.

"Now that's like the Sanyukta I know. I'll be there in a few weeks. Mere liye koi achhi Mumbai ki girlfriend dekh ke rakho" he says.

"Tum aao toh! Seedha shaadi hi karaa deti hu tumhari" daadi says patting his shoulder and Aryan raises his hands in surrender and laughs.

I realise that the campus is filling up quickly. There is a lot of chattering going on and all the students are already in their gowns.

Aryan decides to leave and I quickly give him a peck on his cheek and he slightly blushes and drives away, promising us to meet soon.

When I turn back to find that one face I am dieing to see, I spot him. He is standing at some distance with a grim expression on his face and his eyes glued on me.

Uh oh! He saw us. Jealousy alert. He is not really fond of Aryan. God knows why.

But seeing him standing just a few steps away from me makes me so happy. Yes we talked everyday on the phone but now he is hear in flesh. Now I can see him and touch him. And I want to touch him as soon as possible even though he is a bit mad. I know how to bring a smile to that face.