The letter

James pov
I smile weakly down at Lily, her eyes glistening as they stare up at me. "And that's the last time I saw them, I guess I'll never get to know what you dad was going to say to me" talking about Lily's parents for the first time is reminding me how much I actually miss them. With taking care of Lily and trying to take her mind off of it, I didn't stop and take a moment to consider how them being gone has effected me.
Of cause I know what I'm feeling is nothing compared to Lily but after spending so much time with them and for them giving me the joy of having Lily in my life Iv come to love Mr and Mrs Evans. Without them I'd never have met the young woman I am so very much in love with.

"I can't believe this" a faint voice whispers under her breath. Oh Merlin please don't let her be angry.

I sit silently while Lily stares at me in confusion. "So you just used to come, visit my mum and dad while I was out" she asks as she frowns. "Uhh yeah" I murmur, wincing slightly as I wait for her to start shouting.
"Oh now I get it" her frown slips into a smile and she leans back into the bench.
Her gaze set of the snowy landscape ahead of us. "Get what" I ask perplexed. Why isn't she angry, I mean I was preying she wouldn't be but I guess it is a bit strange.
"Oh they both used to say odd little things every now and again, mostly good things about you or they'd ask questions and tease me whenever one of the girls brought you up, I just figured they were joking around because I guess I talked about you a bit. But apparently they weren't" she doesn't even turn to look at me as she says this, instead she slips her hand into mine and intwines out fingers as she leans on my arm.

"Wait your not mad" she looks up at me her face scrunched up with confusion. "Why would I be mad, confused definitely, but not mad" a small smile spreads across her face. "If anything I'm glad you got to meet them, I knew they'd like you even when we weren't together. That's why I made a point to have you meet as
Little as possible. I thought if they discovered how bloody brilliant you are they'd never let it go, turns out you being so persistent worked out pretty well" this time she lets out a small laugh as she rubs my arm lovingly.
"Oh thank Merlin I thought you were going to be so annoyed" I say pulling her into a tight hug and burying my face into her neck.
"Ahh James" she laughs.

After sting there for a few minutes we decide it's time we get to the house.
A few short moments later we're stood outside looking up at the frost covered child hood home of Lily Evans. "You ready" I ask squeezing her hand. "Ready as I'll ever be" she says as she takes a deep breath.

As we step inside it becomes obvious that no ones been here in a while. If I'm honest I was expecting a lot more mess but there's only some papers scattered across the floor and a few things knocked over. "I can't do this" I hear Lily say as she turns to leave. "No lil wait" I grasp her arm and pull her into me.
"Come on they'd want you to be able to go through this house and find happy memories"
"James this is where they died" her eyes have grow wide and are staring up at me as a few stray tears begin to roll down her face.
"I know honey, I know" i pull her closer to me and run my fingers through her hair as she cries into my shoulder. "But just think of how much you'd regret not taking the things you want to remember them by" I feel her nod and start to pull away from me. "Your right" is all she says as she turns and walks through the hallway.

"She's barely taken anything, petunia that is" Lily says as I enter kitchen. She's standing in the middle of the from looking around. "The grandfather clock in the hall way, everything from her room, mums favourite China set, dads golf clubs and some of their clothes.
That's it, that's all she wanted, out of everything" I can hear the pain in her voice and as I walk over to her i begin to see why.
Dozens of pictures of Lily and her sister mostly are spread across the kitchen table, with a few of all four of them.
I wrap my arms around her waist and rest my chin on her shoulder.
"She didn't want any of these" I ask in disbelief.
"There's one missing I think, it's of us in the meadow before I found out about Hogwarts. It used to hang on that wall" she gestures towards the cream colourd wall to the right of us as she stares down at the many pictures of her family. "Oh yeah I remember that one" I say stroking her head.
I hear a small laugh and her shoulder jolts slightly. "What" I ask surprised that she's finding something amusing. "It's hard to come to terms with you knowing my house almost as well as I do" she turns her head to look at me and kisses my nose. "Yeah I guess it must be" I say as I stretch up and lead her upstairs.