The first defiance

James's pov

Wondering around the small dark corners of nocturnally i come to a dim looking building in the middle of two abandoned looking ones, a man sits against one of the crumbling walls rocking back and forth muttering to himself over and over again.  As i slip past him and into the shop doorway he stops muttering and looks me blank in the eye sending a chill down my spine. I shake off the feeling and pull my attention back to the task at hand. 

Two death eaters, Lucius Malfoy and his wife Naricia were seen here not an hour ago and with some hope, we want to track them and see where they lead us. "on your left" i hear mumbled discreetly by a familiar voice. Sirius stalks slightly behind me through the thin isles of the shop, ignoring the hunchback glaring shop-keeper as he places a small snake into a wooden box. "There," he says in a hushed tone pointing to a door closing behind someone on the far side of the shop. We run over and pause to wait for the door to close properly, before slipping out as well. Outside we're somehow back in the normal streets of London and countless amounts of people are surrounding us, taking away any hope of finding them again. "Do you see them?" Sirius asks from beside me frantically scanning the crowd. i shake my head "No but lily and Wormtail should be waiting just up there, maybe they have". Without another word, we're ducking and squeezing through the gaps in the swarm of people, eventually coming to a clearing behind a quaint cafe with a pale blue exterior.  There Lily and Peter are stood, leaning against one of the slightly fading walls. "Did you find them?" Lily asks standing up straight as she see's us. I open my mouth to answer but am interrupted suddenly "Down by the river" Sirius calls looking back at me and only waiting long enough for me to catch up with him. "You two go that way, try to find Moony" i yell back to Lily and Peter quickly before being consumed by the mass of hurrying bodies. 

The wind whips past me creating a stinging sensation over the bare skin of my shoulders, arms and face and causing my hair to fly backwards. "I don't see them," Sirius says stopping to glance around. i too stop and take a second to look, finally seeing the flash of peroxide blond hair. "Down there," i tell him, racing off to the right of the river Thames and down a particularly dark ally for the time of day. We run through as fast as we can, attempting not to crash into too many people and coming to a sudden halt we come to the alleyway but they are nowhere to be seen. "Where did they". "James Potter" i voice from behind spits. We both spin around to see Malfoy, Gibbon and Antonin Dolohov "You. You helped kill Fabian and Gideon" i scowl at the man on the left pointing my wand sharply at him. He smiles a vicious sickening smile "yes i remember those two, put up a bit of a fight but were just too weak in the end". Sirius lunges forward but i stop him by placing a hand firmly on his shoulder. "That'll do Antonin," Lucius says looking the two of us up and down once. "You two really should just give up, You're never going to defeat someone as strong as the Dark Lord". "and i suppose we're just supposed to take your word for it" i almost laugh. "Thanks for the tip but i think we can decide that for ourselves" Sirius grins sarcastically. "Maybe you should consider what you've already lost, im sure your father wouldn't want you ending up dead because you were to incredibly ignorant as he was to just give up". "Don't you dare talk about him" Sirius practically growls and steps forward while i at least try to regulate my breathing. "Please at least control your lapdog" Gibbon scowls. i glance sideways at Sirius, silently saying what we both know, he really has no idea how much of a canine Sirius really is and yet far from a 'lapdog'. He steps back and leans towards me, wand still up "Let me at them" he mumbles angrily. i turn away from him letting him know, 'not yet' and focus on the murderers in front of me. "Why don't you just tell us what it is you were looking for down here". i suggest tightening my grip. lucius laughs without humour and shakes his head "You really don't give up, do you. Maybe you should be worrying about where your little friends are rather than what we're doing". the realisation hits me, Narcicia is missing and god knows how many others there are here. "Sirius" i mumble through gritted teeth as i stare at the older man's smug face. "Now". Sirius practically beams and attacks sending Lucius flying back into the brick wall behind him

The other two's eyes go wide with rage and i don't wait a second before raising my wand and knocking Gibbon to the ground unconscious leaving Anton and Lucius standing with snarling and turning on us. I feel Sirius behind me "We have to move this, there are muggles everywhere" i breath "All right, grab one each and" "stupify" i snap my head around and block the spell with one small and very brief look back at Sirius i lunge forward, him following me and blocking any spell that's fired at us. I see a flash of red hair and Lilys eyes meet mine as i pile into Lucius, Sirius griping onto Anton. "Remus" Lily yells at moony who is stood a lot closer to us, knowing what we're about to do she rushes forwards, slightly behind Moony and with Wormtail fast on her tail. I glance at Sirius and nod. With no other option i reach over and grab his shoulder, everything happens so fast that when we apparate, it takes a few seconds before i panic, this isn't where we wanted to be. 

I glance around frantically, to see that there are several death eaters standing around me, a number of them with the boys firmly in their grasp. "James" lilys voice whispers to me. I meet her eyes and feel a rush of relief that she's okay but also intense anger that she's here, she should have stayed where she was. Shes staring blankly in front of me and as i scramble to my feet i see just a couple meters in front of us a man, one i immediately know to be him. Voldemort. 

He's looking down at us with a sickening, sinister smile "the Potters, how much i have heard about you" he says with far to familiarity than i am comfortable with. i reach forward and place my hand on lilys arm pulling her back a little so that she's stood beside me, not saying anything. "Nothing to say?" he grins at us. "What do you want from us?" i spit at him, the pure disgust i have for him most likely clearly displayed on my face. "I want you to join my forces of course," he tells us as if it is a perfectly reasonable request. "You think that would ever happen" Lily laughs without humour. Voldemort shifts a little but hardly noticeable and smiles once more glancing briefly to his left where Peter, Remus and Sirius are all being held, each with a knife to their throat. "I believe you could be convinced" he claims looking back at us. "Your talents cannot be ignored, you would be a great addition to my forces...." i watch as my friends struggle, Sirius, glaring with pure rage and fury as he refuses to stand still as we speak, Remus staring straight ahead watching me and lily, strong and silent. finally, i look to Peter who stands very small against his captor, his vulnerability and lack of skills weighing on me. I feel lily's presence next to me and i relax only a little, i notice her two watching them before turning back to face me very briefly blocking Sirius from my view, but as soon as he is revealed once more i know exactly what to do. "I won't be bullied into joining you" i simply say catching lilys hand in mine "and if you ever think that we could then I'm afraid you have vastly underestimated us" 

Lilys pov

I feel James's hand on mine and from his pure tone of voice and the way his fingertips graze my wrist i straight away know what he's planning. It's an attack we've practised countless times in recent months, granted never quite to this extent but practised none the less. "Now" he smirks in my ear as i back up into his chest, curling my arm back around his waist, his hand reaches into my pocket and pulls out my wand and then it begins.