Uncertain futures

Lily's pov 

I woke with a start, firm hands shaking me awake. "LILLY, LILLY" my eyes snap open to see James hovering in front of me, eyes wide and panicked. "they've found us". With that, i jump up shrugging on my jacket and glance around the small room. Myself and James found a small bed and breakfast to stay in last night while Remus and Peter separated from us yesterday morning. James starts to gather up the small number of things that we brought with us as i stumble over to the window. "How did they do it?!" i frown, seeing two men all dressed in black at the front door of the inn waiting to be let through. "I don't know but there are too many people here to start something," he says turning and hanging the rucksack over his shoulder. "right, you ready?" he asks, i nod running a hand through my hair and walking over to him. "Yeah, let's go" 

We arrive back at the Potters manner seconds later, the feeling of apperation twisting my stomach and creating a sickening but now easily ignored, wave of dizziness. The familiar greeting on an empty hallway staring back at us. "I'll just go an change" James announces, smiling back at me before bounding up the stairs. I watch him go until he disappears behind the large wooden door, turning and dropping my bag on to the floor. I let my fingertips graze the window sill and collapse down with a sigh, watching the slightly falling snow dust the garden in a coat of white. Letting my head rest against the wall i feel my eyes start to close, exhaustion setting with the hope of some real sleep, but quickly snatched away at the glimmer of a fire message looms up in front of me. I sit up straight and take the note, a simple message scrawled on the page. I stand up, yawning and striding over to the stairs. "James" i call. "Yeah," he asks coming out of the bedroom running a towel through his hair. "There's an emergency meeting, now," i tell him lifting the note up to show him. "Okay i'll be right down" 

"What do you think it's about?" i ask in a hushed tone as we await Dumbledore's announcement. James shrugs, glancing around the room "I don't know but i think we're about to find out" he mutters motioning forwards to Dumbledore sweeping through the room, clearly just as tired at the rest of us. "Good, you're here" he sighs looking at us. "Is everything okay? i thought weren't supposed to report back until tomorrow" James asks frowning and crossing his arms over his chest. "That's true but due to recent developments, we needed your assistance.......It has come to my knowledge that Sirius's father has died, i was hoping that you would be able to get the message to him". Its James to replies, uncrossing his arms and nodding respectfully "yeah, of course". I hardly listen to the rest of the conversation as they discuss the ball we attended and seeing Marlene there, apparently, he did not know she was going to be there, or Peter and Remus but i can hardly focus on that, the thought of telling someone else i love that their father has died weighted heavily on me, even if they didn't have a conventional relationship. "How are we even supposed to get in touch with him?" i ask as we leave the meeting "Its been weeks since we've seen him". "I have no idea" James groans shouldering his door open and walking over to the bed. 

James and i ended up falling asleep for the rest of the afternoon and i did not wake until late into the night, getting up to go and get a glass of water. I lean against the kitchen counter and take a deep breath staring out of the slightly open window. Placing the glass down i reach out and pull the window closed freezing as i see a blurred figure in the reflection. "Sirius" i gasp turning around quickly. "Hi, Lily" he smiles weakly opening his arms out for me to practically jumping in. I collide with his chest wrapping my arms around his neck, smiling widely "Its been so long" i mumble suddenly remembering the day's events and pulling away from him. "Sirius, your dad..." "I already know," he says cutting me off and stepping away from me "i found out this morning, i guess i didn't really know what to think, that's why i didn't come back straight away. But you know we were never close" he shakes his head shrugging slightly "He was still your dad" "the only father figure i knew died three months ago" he interrupts, sending the sharp memory of Mr. Potter into my mind. I nod silently with a weak smile "I know.......i guess you should go and tell James you're back, he's been miserable the whole time" i laugh lightly. "I have not" a sly voice says from behind me, i turn around as Sirius immediately brightens up. James standing leaning against the banister with his hands in his pockets "i was perfectly fine" he says with a smug grin. "Lier" i grin. "Fine fine....i might have been slightly put out" he groans putting his hands up in a surrender "its good to see you mate" Sirius smirks striding forward as James straightens up and they wrap their arms around each other. 

The reunion consisted of tales and a lot of bragging with a limited amount of serious conversation, meself soon drifting back off to the sound of their voices. 

James's pov

I rest my hand on Lily's shoulder as she sleeps peacefully for the first time in days. "I'm sorry about your dad," i say turning to look at Sirius, he shakes his head. "Don't be....he wasn't a good person.....but if his death has shown me anything it's that we can lose anyone at any time, i know I've been a bit off the rails lately but i'm planning to stay more with the group, who knows when our last day might be". I take a deep breath and raze my glass "To uncertain futures" i grin. Sirius laughs raises his glass "Merry Christmas mate"