Life in the order of the Phoenix

I slip around the corner of a small abandoned stone building and brush myself off. We tracked down two death eaters to a small village in the North of Wales supposedly after a recruit for Voldemort but yet to show themselves. There's a Christmas market going on and the small narrow streets are packed with people, men, woman, and children all in danger if we can't find them. Placing my wand in my back pocket, tucked carefully underneath my long grey coat, i peer around the side of the wall scanning the crowd for any sign of magic. "Anything" a voice whispers, i turn to look up at James briefly, leaning over me so that he can see around me. I shake my head with a sigh "None" i say glumly straightening up and facing him. "I guess we should get a closer look then" he smirks extending his arm out for me to take. I smile and link my arm with his before we step out into the crowd, blending in easily as we walk amongst the muggles. There are tables covered end to end with different foods, stands with an array of gifts piled up on them as well as row upon row of clothing items. James edges us over to one of the tables with brightly coloured scarfs laid out along its width, he picks up a coral green one and wraps it around my neck, grinning happily as his fingers brush my neck and trail down my arms until they fall away. "James...we're not here to shop." i murmur going to take it off "What?" he says looking amused "We're supposed to be blending in right, why not look around as well" He smirks, I shrug but continue to take off the scarf and place it back on the table "I guess there's no harm in that" i agree smiling politely at the woman behind the stall. "Exactly" he grins kissing me quickly and winking as he turns wondering over to the stand with dozens of leather jackets hung up on. I laugh lightly as i watch him for a second before scanning the other tables around me.

 A little to the right there is a small collection of pins and broaches that i am instantly drawn to. I pick up a large pearl one but put it down when one with a picture of a woman on it catches my eye "Lil, look" James calls, i look over to see him holding up a light wash denim jacket to his torso. "Very nice" i grin back as he smiles down at the item and takes it off the hanger. "Boyfriend?" I turn to see the woman from earlier stood just in front of me putting out pairs of earrings in small navy blue boxes. "Uh, husband actually" i laugh lightly instinctively touching the rings on my finger. "You both look so young though," she says, her eyes widening a little as she takes out a fluorescent cloth and polishes a dark red set of earrings. "Yeah we are, i guess when you know, you know," i tell her. She smiles kindly and sighs wistfully, strands of greying hair floating in the wind. "Very true". As she places the earings down i notice a diming band of gold on her wedding finger. "Did you marry young as well, i hope you don't mind me asking, i just noticed..." i trail off indicating towards her left hand. "Oh no not at all" she smiles kindly, looking down at the ring and rubbing her thumb across it in a cyclical motion. "we were about your age" she begins, gesturing behind her to James "We did everything young, fell in love, married, had children...all of it people might not have agreed but we didn't care" she has the sense of wisdom of someone long tainted by the struggles of life, reminding me much of my grandmother who died when i was just a little girl. "is he here" i ask glancing around behind her but she shakes her head and places the empty box that she got the earing out off on the floor, picking up another. "No, he died shortly after my daughter was born" my mouth opens slightly and i place my hand to my heart "I'm so sorry" i say shaking my head and automatically glancing at James across the small patch of land, i can't think of anything worse than losing James let alone after just having a child. "It was a long time ago" she smiles weakly "there's no point dwelling on it now, i try to keep fond memories instead" i go to reply but am stopped as a small girl bounces over towards us, her dark hair blowing behind her as she skips along "Nanny Nanny look at my new dress" she grins twirling around gleefully. "That's lovely sweetheart" the woman chimes brushing her hand through the child's hair as she beams, I can't help but smile at the sight as i watch her lean down and whisper something to her granddaughter. "go on, you can go and help your mummy get another box from the car if you want. Sorry about that" she laughs lightly as the girl skips away. "Its fine, shes lovely by the way...i can't wait for all of that" i admit turning the broach over in my hands as i watch. "all in due time," she says warmly. "I've got to have it" James' voice rings as he appears next to me and places the jacket he had earlier down on the table in front of me. "I've always liked that one" the woman smiles kindly. James returns the gesture before looking down at me, wrapping an arm around my waist and pressing a kiss to my forehead "Find anything you like?" he asks just as he must have noticed the broach i'm holding. "My mum used to have one just like it" i breathe as i place it back down and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and glance around, a dark black cloak instantly locking into my line sight. "I'll just be a second" i mumble walking towards it without another word.