What might of been

Lily's pov

I planned to get up early and make James and Sirius breakfast but when i woke i was greeted by a cold empty right side of the bed, clearly not slept on for a while. With a sigh, i stand and pull on one of James's jumpers before going in search of him. Its a quick search as i round the corner into his dad's study and see him sat at the desk holding his father's wand and staring down at it silently. One of the floorboards creaks under my foot alerting my presence and he snaps his head up meeting my gaze. i smile apologetically and lean against the door "Morning" he says raspily, "Morning" i say quietly in response wondering in and standing beside him, resting a hand on his shoulder. "How long have you been up?" he shrugs and places the wand back down on the desk in front of him "Not sure" he breaths deeply " an hour or so....maybe". "You hungry?" he nods and stands up from the desk "yeah, I'll just go see if Padfoot is awake". he says as he leaves the room. 

i leave them alone and go downstairs, searching around for something to make them. Keeping in mind that no one had really been living there for a few weeks the house was as expected fairly bare but luckily still had the essentials for making some homemade pancakes. 

They both appeared in the doorway just around the time i was plating them up and putting down any topping choices that we had available. Sirius doesn't say anything about where he was last night and so i don't ask, i know James will most likely have already asked him and I'm sure if he wanted to talk about he would. "I'm sure everyone will understand if you'd rather not go to the meeting today" i mention. "No, dad wouldn't want us to sit around moping, he spent near enough his whole adult life fighting for this cause and i know he'd rather we focus of that" James protests sharing a small look with Sirius suggesting that they may have already discussed this and are now giving me a small very brief run through it. "Alright," i say kindly accepting their decision. I know i can argue all i want but neither of them will want to sit at home and do nothing, maybe that's what i needed to do for the first few days after i found out about my mum and dad but everyone grieves differently and if this is what they want to do then that's what they're going to do. 

"how's he doing?" Remus asks coming over and standing beside me, motioning with this head in James's direction. "better than i thought he'd be" i whisper careful that only he hears me, the rest of the order was informed about Mr. Potters death but after hearing that James really didn't want it made the center of attention they gave a respectful condolence and continued with the normal day. "Dumbledore says there's another mission, one he wants the five of us on" he says blankly looking out into the small dusty room. "He hasn't asked us about it yet," i tell him, trying to keep my curiosity to a minimum. "I suppose he was waiting to ask you together" he proposes with a shrug. "Yeah maybe". 

Sure enough at the end of the night, Dumbeldore gave us the mission, we're attempting to track down the special something the source told us about that might help us defeat Voldemort once and for all.