What you don't know can't hurt you

WARNING: unedited chapter update. will be correcting any mistakes asap

James's pov

I sit outside for another 10 minutes before I hear the front door open and close, footsteps walking the short distance and a touch I'd know anywhere, influencing me to open my eyes and see Lily standing beside me, her hand slipping into mine. "I'm going to have to tell them" I sigh looking up at the sky. "I know," she says smiling weakly at me. "I'm sure they and Dumbledore will understand, their your parents James it's near impossible that you'd of been able to keep it from them" I nod and take a deep breath "yeah I know.....i was just hoping I could keep it quiet for a bit longer" she chuckles and pulls on my arm so I stand up straight "Come on, time to face the music"

We walk back into the house and straight into the kitchen, lily pauses at the door and lets's go of my hand, letting me go in alone. Sirius is still sat at the table silently while my parents whisper to each other in hushed tones of bickering, instantly stopping the second they see me. I brace myself for screaming and yelling but instead mum beckons me over to sit down opposite Sirius, i comply and sit down quickly. "okay" she sighs taking a deep breath. "Lily will you come in here please" my dad calls, lily enters and sits beside me, my mum choosing the one at the head of the table and dad standing behind her with his hand rested on her shoulder. "Now that we have all calmed down" she begins glancing at me directly. "We understand that you are all of the age now, you're adults in your own right and we both want to respect that....but you also need to respect us" we all nod in unison but don't say anything. "it's perfectly obvious that this has something to do with the war, that is no secret, what exactly that entails we don't know" she says stopping cleary to allow me to answer. "Look, I know you two give me a lot of freedom and I don't want to disrespect that.......so all I can tell you is that we are going against voldemort..directly. We're fighting I this war just not in the way we thought we would be" I see her glance at lily who nods clarifying my story. "Okay...if you're at least honest with us when we're behind you," my dad says offering his hand. I stand up and shake it "thanks, dad," I say sincerely as my mum stands up and faces me, while tall-ish I still stand at a head above her and its times like this I think she realizes how old I am now. Dad and lily get up and leave as there's a knocking sound from the front room"mum" I muttered looking down at her. "I just can't believe I'm letting my child go ant fight in a war, i can't believe that you suddenly got to big.......that it's not my job to take care of you anymore" she says, her eyes starting to water a little. "im sorry" she laughs a little and shakes her head "don't be ridiculous i just want you to be safe". "James" lily's voice cuts in. we both turn to look at her, mum drying her eyes. "I'm sorry to interrupt but its Dumbledore" "alright I'll be out in a second" I tell her, she nods and leaves again. "just be careful okay" she says, her voice cracking slightly. "i will"

she walks me to the door, where i see that Lily and my dad are all ready standings outside. "I'll be back later mum, it's just a meeting". 'I know i know...i just feel like letting you go now is letting go completely......." "i will be back later" i repeated reassuring her. she nods and hugs me before letting go so that i can put on a coat just as Sirius runs down the stairs and towards the door, "stop right there young man" my mum calls to him, pulling him towards her and into a tight hug, he stands rigid at first but soon relaxes into it, closing his eyes and holding onto her tightly. "be careful" she mumbles to him. "i will"

lilys pov

i watch as Mrs.potter allows James and Sirius to join me in the garden and my potter joins her back in the house. we wave and turn around ready to operate. "you told her it was just a meeting" i state looking up at James. "what she doesn't know can't hurt her"