Bad days and breakups

Lily's POV
Iv just come out of potions and am now heading to charms, I'm meeting Mar by the gryffindor common room and told James to go and find Sirius. They haven't spoke in 3 days and it's starting to get awkward, no one knows how to act around them.

I find her slouched against the wall looking glum. "Hey" I say with a weak smile as I run my hand down her arm.
"Lets go" I pull on her wrist to stop her from walking any further. "No Mar we have to talk about this it's getting ridiculous"
She sighs and turns back to look at me.
"What's there to say? We just don't work.
We're to similar, neither of us can trust each other and how can we have any sort of relationship without trust?"
I stare at her blankly. Honestly I have no idea, they've always just sort of got on, since the beginning of 1st year. Sure it was only flirting and teasing then and non of us ever expected them to ever get in a real relationship but things don't always go the way you think they will.
To be quite honest I couldn't see Marlene being in one for a long time either, she's right when she says they're very similar.
She's the perfect copy of him.

"I don't know" I reply in a hushed tone almost not wanting to say it out loud.
She shrugs and walks ahead of me, we continue the rest of the way in silence and hardly talk for the whole lesson. I catch a glimpse of James sitting at the back of the room with the boys, frank and Alice stayed with us.
He gives me a sympathetic look and gestures his head towards Mar, asking if iv had any luck. I shake my head and turn around to face the front of the classroom.

After the lesson I waited for James just outside the door, I told Mar to come to my dorm tonight and we'd just have a few hours of relaxing with Alice. "Well I think we have a problem" James states putting his arm around my shoulders and leading me to out next period. "I know, but what can we do" I ask almost as a rhetorical question.
"I don't know I mean I know they have their  issues but that's just what they're like. I didn't think they'd spilt up over it"
I lean closer into his chest and silently thank god that we aren't like that, I don't think I could deal with the constant stress and worry. "Me neither I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens"
He makes a noise in agreement and we don't talk about the subject again until much later in the evening when Mar and Alice arrived.

"Hey I'll be down in a minute" I shout to them from the top of the stairs.
Alice says okay in reply but Mar stays quiet and takes a seat. I walk back into my room and finish getting changed. James is lying across my bed with his head resting on one arm.
"Do you want me to go to the common room?" He asks.
"No you don't have to" I tell him taking the last of my makeup off and throwing the wipe into the bin.
"Okay" he says rolling over to lie on his back.

I was done after 5 minutes and soon sat on the sofa in between the two girls. Me and Alice were laughing and joking together but Marlene doesn't seem to be having quite so much fun.
She gets up abruptly and walks over to our small kitchen area, stopping by the table to pour herself a drink.
I give James a look that says go and talk to her, he quickly understands and gets up to go and stand beside her.

James POV
Lily just looked at me oddly and from Mar's odd behaviour I can only assume she wants me to have a go at cheering her up.
"Alright" I smile pulling her into my chest in half a hug. She stays stiff and hardly moves.
"Mmmm" she mumbles in reply.
"Mar come on it's me you can talk to me" she looks up and meets my gaze, her eyes beginning to water as she relaxes slightly and leans into me. It's odd for me to see Mar cry, although she's definitely not as tough as Lily there's little that can really get her down. Her main quality is her positivity, she just always appears to be so happy, much like Sirius it takes a lot to really upset her.

I pull her towards the window and imply that I want her to sit down next to me, she does and as she gets closer I realise how bad she actually looks. Her eyes are surrounded by dark circles from a clear lack of sleep and her hair is messy from the way she keeps running her hand through it in nervousness, even her posture had changed. She rests her head on my shoulder and takes a deep shaky breath.
"I just don't know what to do" she whispers, her voice cracking and I can tell she's trying to hold back tears.
"Well..do you love him?" She doesn't even hesitate in her reply but there is a slight hint of not regret but almost like she doesn't want to answer.
"Yes"
"I wish I could say it's just that easy but I know it's not" I sigh, running my hand up and down her arm in a soothing motion, Iv always loved Mar as a sister and I hate to see her upset, but at the same time Sirius is my brother and I know that if I really needed to I'd stand by him whatever happens.
"I know...but that's what I want...I want easy.
I look at you and Lily, at Frank and Alice and I want that, I don't want to have to be on edge all the time watching who he's talking to and where he is. Worrying I'm going to lose him to some bimbo he hardly knows. I want him to be able to trust me, to not think I'm going to leave him after every small argument we have. I don't want to keep having the same fights and not know how to solve the problem. I don't know..if...if I want us to work" she sounds sad and her voice is quite but I can feel the certainty, she doesn't want to be in this relationship anymore.

"Okay, then we'll sort something out. But you need to talk to him" I tell her as Lily and Alice come over and sit down my her feet, Lily stroking her knee.
"I know..I know I do but I can't. I can't because I'll break. I'll slip right back into what we were like before and..an" she can hardly speak through her stuttering and gasping as tears begin to stream down her face.
She turns into my chest and I wrap my arms around her, the girls standing up, Lily joining in on our hug and Alice softly rubbing her back.
"And Now iv messed up the whole group its not going to work us all being friends" she cries.
"Don't worry we'll work something out, it'll all be okay" Lily says reassuringly.

Just then we hear the sound of the portrait door opening and several pairs of footsteps scuffling along the wooden floors.
We all look up to see Remus, Peter and Frank with Sirius standing awkwardly in the middle but slightly in front. He's got his hands in his pockets and he looks in about as good a state as Mar does. We all stare at each other for a moment, no one knowing what to say or do.
He steps forward a little more and takes a small unsteady breath.
"Can I talk to you?"