The final match

Lily's pov
It's the final quidditch match of the year and the last one ever for us.
James was up early this morning going through some drills, they weren't going to have a practice today but he called an emergency one, Something about a new strategy.

After I practically dragged James down to have breakfast he sped off to the pitch with the rest of the team, we've got and hour or two yet before the rest of us have to go so I'm sat in the gryfindoor common room with Remus, Peter, Frank and Alice. It's been a while since iv been in here.
"It's been strange you not living with us this year" Alice says as she plays with the fringe of her scarf.
"Yeah it has" I agree.
"Have you spoke to Mar about housing arrangements recently" she asks.
"Uh..no..no I haven't" I reply honestly.
I really don't know what's happening now, originally I was going to try and find somewhere with Mar and Alice when we leave Hogwarts but now I'm not sure, James said about us getting somewhere by ourselves or going back to his parents. Honestly I'm not really don't know.
"we have to sort it out soon and I'm sure she's having the same issue with Sirius as well"
Alice has already told us she's going to live with Frank but I have no idea about Mar.
I'm about to make up and excuse as to why I haven't yet but am interrupted by a clock chiming.

"Oh sorry got to go" I announce bouncing up out of my chair.
"Bye" i call as I head towards the portrait whole. I here a few confused whispers from behind me but ignore them hoping they'll just let me go. Lucky I catch Alice just expanding where I'm going before I leave.
I told Sev I'd meet him and although I'm thankful for the distraction of taking about my plans for the future, I am slightly nervous.

I run down to the astronomy tower and wait for Sev to arrive, thankful for the time to think.
I really have no idea what to do, surely Mar will want to live with Sirius. But what if she doesn't? what if they break up by then?
They have got a pretty rocky relationship.
And then there's Remus and Peter..oh I don't know. In first year I'd always assumed I'd leave and go of to live with Sev somewhere....funny how things change. I couldn't imagine that ever happening now.

After no more than 10 minutes I catch sight of him walking towards me.
He looks so young and vulnerable against the strong winds as his cloak flies high behind him, although he makes no effort to conceal himself from the cold. Something I have noticed ever since we started to drift apart, he doesn't appear to care about coldness or anything like that. I saw him walking alone in the dark once in the winder of 6th year, he didn't seem to care at all that he was so out in the open like that, where even though we are at Hogwarts and very safe anything could have happened to him. After all there is the dark forest only a few meters away.

He stumbles down the rocks and hilly ground until he reaches me. "Hey" I greet while a small smile. "Hi Lilly" he replies pulling me in for a brief hug.
"I'm glad you came" he tells me taking a seat on the steps. "I'm surprised about the location though"
I look at him slightly shocked and confused,
he doesn't really think this place is going to be tainted for me does he? Iv always come here to think.
"I'm not going to stop coming here just because of what happened" I tell him.
"I didn't think so" he says with a slight smirk.
"What are you smirking at" I ask laughing
"You..your so stubborn"
I go to protest but I can't disagree.
"Yeah I know"
We both laugh and I push on his shoulder lightly.
"Iv missed this" I state leaning against his shoulder. "Me too"

I sit with Sev for another 30 minutes before I have to go, we say goodbye and I start to make my way to Hagrid's.
I told him I'd walk to the match with him and the others are going to meet me there.

When I arrive I only see Peter and Remus sat inside, I knock on the door and am greeted by Hagrid's welcoming smile a couple seconds later.
"E'llo there Lily"
"Hi hagrid, Remus, Peter" I say walking in and rubbing my numb hands together to keep them warm.
"Where are Frank and Alice?" I ask taking a seat.
"They said they'd meet us there" I'm told by Remus.
"Oh okay"

It's not long before we have to leave to get to the match on time. The 4 of us walk in a comfortable convocation, talking about our plans for after school and the new pets Hagrid has began to collect.

"See you later" I call to hagrid as he leaves for the teachers stand.
"Bye you three" she shouts back.

We find a seat in the gryffindor stands near to Frank and Alice and wait rather impatiently for the game to begin.

I see James leading his team onto the pitch with their brooms in hand.
The crowd starts to cheer and clap their hands causing James to break into a large grin.
His gaze lands on me and I mouth a 'good luck' to him, I know he probably has no idea what I said but I'm glad I got to see him properly before they started.

Sirius is looking cocky as ever but a small slap from Mar soon got him to stop fooling around and pay attention to what Madam Hooch was saying.

They take they're starting positions and wait for the sound of the whistle which triggers the start of the match. We score the first 50 points followed by slytherin, I can see James hovering just above the game watching intently, he's waiting to see the snitch but also to observe what else is going on.

While he used to play Chaser he took the position of seeker due to them gaining a new member who was fairly good at the position plus James while being good at just about everything is an exceptional flyer and couldn't be more suited to being seeker.

His eyes land on me and he flashes his signature smile before speeding towards the ground but pulling up just before he hits it, following the small golden ball closely.
I inhale a small amount of air making a gasping sound at the sight of him so close to crashing but I know James is better than that he's the best flyer iv ever seen, I highly doubt he would ever even come close.

I watch as Sirius races glides past one of the slytherin players with ease. He want even on the team until halfway through last year. He'd always said he didn't want to be tied down to anything, or follow any club, that he wasn't part of a team. A lone wolf you might say, that little comment of cause got a wary glare from Remus before we all erupted into laughter.
He's such an idiot sometimes.
Anyway James convinced him it would be fun and he's always gone to the practices just to play, anyone else would never be allowed but he's Sirius black, he pretty much just does what ever he wants.

Mar also only joined this year, she'd always been oddly good at the sport considering she's about as far from rough and tumble as you can get in every other way. Still, she asked James to try her out this year on a whim and she got on, I think everyone was surprised to be honest but she fits in perfectly.

We're now up by 100 points and I can no longer see James clearly, he's been racing about continuously for the last 5 minutes.
Suddenly he reappears grinning and holding his hand up above his head.
The crowd starts to speculate as the announcer draws his attention to James.
"James Potter has caught the snitch! 250 points to gryffindor! GRYFFINDOR WIN!"
Everyone stands up and starts to clap and cheer as do the team.
Sirius flys over to James first and high fives him before all of them join in a group hug.

I spot Sirius and Mar in the midst of the teams arms but I can't see James, I stretch up onto my toes to look for him as the crowd around me goes wild. Suddenly his mop of messy black hair appears in front of me, him grinning widely at his triumph. I don't think the game could have gone any more to his plan.
He doesn't speak, instead he kneels up on his broom as I lean down over the edge of the stand and crush my lips against his.
I can hear everyone cheering around us but I can't even concentrate on them.
James pulls away and smiles up at me.
"Well done" I chime running the tips of my fingers across his cold cheek and past his jawline.
"Thanks" he beams.
"James!" Sirius calls waving him over.
He looks briefly at him before returning his gaze to me. "Go on" I tell him.
His smile grows even wider before he sits back down on his broom properly and flies over to him. I'm so happy he got to end on a high.
And I'm glad that this is how his last game will be remembered.