A Good Talk (42)

Dan's POV

"It's a girl," Nurse Swainston informed Scarlett and I. Butterflies fluttered around in my stomach. It suddenly hit me like a ton of brick, everything hit me. I was actually going to be a dad. It would be my responsibility to bring up my baby girl respectively. I couldn't smile, I was frowning but I didn't know why. Why was I frowning? I was more than over joyed, this whole situation was brilliant. "Mr Howell, are you alright there? Would you like a drink?" Nurse Swainston asked me and I opened my mouth. My lips could not form a decent reply. I couldn't say a word. Not a single syllable. Nothing.

"Dan, are you positive you're okay?" Scarlett asked me, taking my hand and squeezing it. I turned to face Scarlett.

"I guess it was now that it had only just sunk in, you know?" I gulped. I began to wobble so I reluctantly took a seat in the navy blue chair. The nurse walked over to the sink and took a plastic cup before filling it up with water and handing it back over to me.

"This is all incredibly normal," Nurse Swainston reassured me, "You must drink and go home. Make sure you get a lot of rest and that should help."

Scarlett stood up and walked to the nurse. She shook her hand and thanked her before taking her denim jacket and walking out the door without me. I was still sitting there in that navy blue chair. "Mr Howell, I'm afraid you'll have to leave. I have a few more patients to treat, but if you ever wish to talk." Nurse Swainston smiled, taking my hand and pulling me up on to my feet.

"Yes, I would really like to talk about this situation." I told Nurse Swainston rather formally.

"Come over at around six, got it? I usually finish my shift then but I would quite happily answer your questions." She replied.

"Thank you, Nurse Swainston." I grinned at her, shaking her hand.

"Please, call me Joan." She smiled back at me. "Now hurry, you must leave." She shooed me out. I caught up with Scarlett back at Phil's.

"Congratulations guys!" Summer shrieked, enveloping both into a strong hug. "Scarlett told us, you're having a girl. Aw, that's so cute."

"I never imagined my best mate having a kid," Phil smiled, "but erm, Dan, your mum called..."

"She did?" I asked Phil and judging from his expression it didn't look like good news. 

"Yeah, while you were at the hospital. She wants you to phone her, like now." Phil looked down, passing me the house phone. I quickly dialed my mums number and waited for her to pick up.

"Daniel, is that you my dear?" My mum asked. Her voice was shaking and sounded worried.

"Yeah mum, it's me. What's up?" I asked her.

"I have never been so disappointed in you in my entire life. Daniel. You're twenty years old and you get a seventeen year old pregnant! Unbelievable... at least she's your girlfriend..."