We learn about the Sorcerer's Stone & meet Hagrid's new...pet

Cassia's POV

Winter break had come and gone, and we had final exams coming up in a couple of months. One day, Harry, Ron, and I were studying in the Great Hall. Well, Ron wasn't studying. He was going through his Chocolate Frog cards. Hedwig flew to our table, landing in front of Harry.

"Hi, Hedwig," I said, stroking her feathers. She nibbled my finger affectionately.

"I think she likes you, Cass," Harry noted.

"Look at you, playing with your cards. Pathetic! We've got finale exams coming up," Hermione admonished.

Ron put his cards down. "I'm ready. Ask me any question," he challenged.

"Alright. What are the three most crucial ingredients in a Forgetfulness Potion?" Hermione asked.

Ron looked down. "I forgot..."

"And what, may I ask, do you plan to do if this comes up in the final exam?" Hermione asked.

"Copy off you," Ron shot back.

"No you won't. Besides, according to Professor McGonagall, we're to be given special quills bewitched with an Anti-Cheating Spell," Hermione stated.

"That's insulting! It's as if they don't trust us!" Ron protested. He looked at one of his cards and groaned. "Dumbledore again!" Just then, Neville came bunny-hopping into the Great Hall. Almost everyone else started laughing.

"Leg-Locker Curse?" Ron wondered aloud.

"Malfoy," Harry and I said in unison. Neville hopped his way to our table.

"You have got to start standing up to people, Neville," said Ron.

"But how? I can barely stand at all," Neville replied, trying not to lose his balance.

Seamus jumped up. "I'll do the counter-curse," he said.

"No, that's all I need. You to set my bloody kneecaps on fire," Neville objected.

That definitely hurt. Seamus slammed his wand down. "I don't appreciate the insinuation, Longbottom! Besides, if anyone cares to notice, my eyebrows have completely grown back!" he said, pointing to his eyebrows. He turned and walked away, giving us all a glimpse of a burnt spot on the back of his head. Hermione and I tried not to laugh.

"I found him!" Harry exclaimed, pointing to a card. "'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, his discovery of the twelve uses of dragon blood, and for his work on alchemy with his partner Nicholas Flamel,'" he read aloud. We all looked at each other and raced to the library.

<><><><><>

"I had you looking in the wrong section! How could I be so stupid?!" Hermione exclaimed, dropping a book in front of us with a loud THUMP. "I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading," she added, flipping through the pages. The book was enormous, so I wouldn't exactly call it light reading if it made that much of a noise when Hermione dropped it.

"This is light?" Ron asked, as if reading my mind.

Hermione just glared at him and continued to flip through the book. "Of course! Here it is!" she exclaimed, putting a finger on one page. "Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Sorcerer's Stone," she read to us.

"The what?!" Harry, Ron, and I asked, in complete unison.

Hermione sighed. "Honestly, don't those two read, Cassia?" she asked. I shrugged in response. She continued reading. "The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Sorcerer's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal."