Worst. Day. Ever

Cassia's POV

So far, the first few days of classes were pretty normal, but I doubted it would stay that way, especially with Mad-Eye Moody teaching DADA class.

Our first DADA class with him was on Thursday, and it was our last class of the day. The name submissions for the tournament were opening tonight as well, so you can probably imagine how excited we were.

When I got into the classroom, I immediately took a seat next to my brother. Hermione took the desk to the left, and Ron took the one to the right, so Harry and I were basically sandwiched in between them.

Moody entered the room and stood next to the chalkboard. "My name is Alastor Moody," he wrote 'Moody' on the board as he continued. "Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story. Goodbye. The end. Any questions?"

No one dared to raise their hand.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" Moody asked.

Hermione, of course, was the first to volunteer to answer the question. "Three, sir," she said.

Moody turned back to the board and wrote '3', and then circled it. "And they are so named --?"

"Because they are unforgivable," Hermione answered again. "The use of any one of them will-" She was cut off.

"-earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban. Correct!" Moody finished her sentence, writing 'Unforgivable' in all capital letters. He turned and faced the class once again. "The Ministry says you're too young to see what these Curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared! You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnegan!"

Seamus' eyes widened. "No way. The old codger can see out of the back of his head," he whispered to Dean, who was sitting next to him.

Moody responded by throwing a piece of chalk at him. "And hear across classrooms!" he roared. "So, which curse shall we see first?" His eyes fell on Ron. "Weasley!"

"Yes?" Ron squeaked. I didn't blame him for being scared; I would be too, if I were the one being called on right now instead of him.

"Stand!" Moody ordered.

Ron didn't hesitate to comply.

"Give us a curse," Moody said. His voice was way lower than it was a few seconds ago, when he'd yelled at Seamus.

"Well...m-my dad did tell me about one. The -- The Imperius Curse," Ron stuttered.

Moody nodded. "Oh yes, your dad would know all about that one. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief at one time. Perhaps this will show you why," he said. He made his way over to a nearby desk with jars of bugs on it, and took out a spider, holding it in the palm of his hand. With his other hand, he pointed his wand at the arachnid and said, "Engorgio."

The spider nearly tripled in size. Now it was nearly the size of a Bludger.

"Imperio!" Moody said. As he moved his wand, the spider was lifted into the air and made to float from desk to desk. "Don't worry. Completely harmless," he assured us as he let the spider hover over Crabbe's head. "But if she bites --" he guided the spider to sit directly above Ron "-- she's lethal!" he warned.

Malfoy sniggered at Ron, seeming to enjoy seeing him scared to death of the arachnid. Moody definitely didn't like that, because he looked at Malfoy with a piercing glare. "What are you laughing at?" he asked. The grin on Malfoy's face completely vanished when the spider was made to jump onto his nose. All the Gryffindors (and a few of the Slytherins) in the room started cracking up.