Battle with the Basilisk

Cassia's POV

We made our way through another pipe, much bigger than the one we entered through. Looking up ahead, I could see what looked like the Basilisk, but when I got closer, I realized it was just the skin.

"What's that?" Ron asked.

"It looks like a...snake," Lockhart said.

"It's a snake skin," I corrected him, rolling my eyes at my teacher's stupidity.

"Bloody hell! Whatever shed this must be sixty feet long...or more," Ron noted, "or more."

We heard a THUMP behind us and turned to see Lockhart, passed out on the ground.

"Heart of a lion, this one," Ron remarked.

"Tell me about it," I muttered, crossing my arms.

Lockhart shot up, grabbing Ron's wand. "The adventure ends here, boys. But don't fret; the world will know our story. How I was too late to save the girl. How you three tragically lost your minds at the sight of her mangled body. So...you first, Miss Potter. Say goodbye...to your memories," he sneered.

Harry moved in front of me, protecting me.

"Obliviate!" Lockhart yelled. The spell blasted him into the ceiling and he fell to the ground, unconscious. Suddenly we heard some rocks falling, and Harry and I ducked for cover as the rocks fell.

"Harry! Harry, Cassia!" Ron shouted, once it stopped.

Harry scrambled over to the rock wall blocking us from Ron. "Ron! Ron, are you okay?" he yelled through an opening.

"I'm fine!" Ron answered.

I heard Lockhart groan. "Hello. Who are you?" he asked.

"Ron Weasley," Ron answered.

"Really? And, uh...who am I?" Lockhart questioned.

"Lockhart's Memory Charm backfired! He hasn't got a clue who he is!" Ron told us.

"That's because he used your wand, Ron!" I pointed out.

"Thanks for the obvious," Ron called back.

"It's an odd sort of place, isn't it? Do you live here?" Lockhart asked, tossing a rock in his hands.

"No," Ron replied, taking the rock from him.

"Really?" Lockhart said, just before he was clocked in the head with the rock.

"What'll I do now?" Ron asked.

"You wait here and try and shift some of this rock so we can get back through. We'll go on and find Ginny!" Harry told him. He turned to me and I nodded.

<><><><><>

We eventually came to a round door with snakes carved into it. Harry spoke Parseltongue again, and the door opened. Literally, it was the shape of a pipe. We jumped out, onto the ground. There were snake-head statues lining the chamber, with a statue of a wizard's head at the far end. And near a pool of water at the base of the statue, was an unconscious Ginny.

"Ginny!" I exclaimed. Harry and I ran to her as fast as we could

"No...no, no, no, no, no. You cannot die on us," I pleaded, shaking her.

"Please don't be dead. Wake up. Wake up! Please wake up," Harry added, also shaking her.

"She won't wake," said a soft voice.

I turned around to see Riddle coming our way.

"Tom? Tom Riddle? What do you mean, she won't wake?" Harry asked, "She's not --"