The hearing

Cassia's POV

After a week of spraying Doxycide in every room at Headquarters, August 12th had finally arrived. The day of Harry's disciplinary hearing. And we were both dreading it. 

I pulled back the covers and slid out of bed. Hermione and Ginny remained asleep in the two beds across from mine, not even stirring. I tiptoed out of the room, shutting the door behind me, and ran to the bathroom so I could have a quick shower. Worry filled my brain as I turned the water on, stripped, and stepped under the cold water. If Fudge and the rest of the Ministry were against us, then there was a very good chance that we would lose the case, and Harry would be expelled from Hogwarts, for real this time. I felt a knot form in the pit of my stomach.

I turned off the water and wrapped a towel around my torso, using an elastic on my wrist to tie my hair up. When I reentered my shared bedroom, I saw -- to my relief -- that Hermione and Ginny were still fast asleep. An outfit was already laid out on my bed. Mrs. Weasley had probably put it together for me. I made a mental note to thank her for that as I got dressed.

 I made a mental note to thank her for that as I got dressed

To complete the look, I fastened my snitch necklace that Cedric had gifted me around my neck. I checked myself over in the mirror. My makeup gave me a natural look, but my red lipstick made it pop. I let my hair down after drying it and brushing it free of tangles; some of it was pinned back so it was out of my eyes, and the tips were curled. On my feet were a pair of nude-colored high heels. To keep my wand safe, I stuck it in the waistline of my skirt.

I left the room, shutting the door behind me again, and went downstairs. On my way into the kitchen, I saw Cedric enter the house. He looked exactly the way he had the last time I saw him, except his clothes were different now. Instead of street clothes or his Hufflepuff uniform, he wore khaki pants, a white button-down shirt, black dress shoes, and a matching black blazer -- though most of it was concealed by a brown cloak. His eyes met mine, and at once his face lit up. He ran up to me and threw his arms around me.

"I missed you so much, love." He leaned down to kiss me on the cheek. When I didn't respond, he frowned. "What, no 'I missed you too, Ceddy?'"

I didn't answer.

"Aren't you happy to see me again?" he asked.

Of course I am! I'm always happy to see you, but I'm angry because I have a bone to pick with you! I gently pried his hands off my waist, and was about to go into the kitchen when he grabbed my hand.

"Come on, Cass. Talk to me!" he pleaded. "What's wrong?"

"I'll tell you what's wrong," I hissed, yanking my hand out of his grip. "We had so many dates planned over the past two months, and you just called them all off!"

"I had to," Cedric said.

I rolled my eyes. "With no reason?! Or an apology?!"

"Shh!" he shushed me. "Keep your voice down!"