Third Task: The A-maze-ing race

Cassia's POV

The third and final task was tonight. Even though Dumbledore told us not to worry, I can't help but feel like something bad might happen...which is why I asked if I could help the staff patrolling the outskirts of the maze. Thank goodness they said yes.

At dusk, we walked onto the Quidditch field, which was now completely unrecognizable. A twenty-foot high hedge ran all the way around the edge of it. There was a gap right in front of us; the entrance to the vast maze. The passage beyond it looked dark and creepy.

In the stands, a small orchestra consisting of brass and drums was playing an upbeat tune, while the crowds cheered for the champions. Ron, Hermione, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were among those people. I saw the Beauxbatons girls were doing a dance routine that strongly resembled the Macarena, except instead of singing the words to the song, they were saying a cheer for Fleur in French.

Dumbledore, Moody, Professor McGonagall, Snape, and Professor Sprout also came out onto the pitch.

"Sonorus!" Dumbledore yelled, with his wand pointed at his neck.

The music and cheers died down and everyone in the stands took a seat.

"Earlier today, Professor Moody has hidden the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows it's exact position," Dumbledore announced. "Now, since Mr. Diggory-"

The Hufflepuffs abruptly stood, cheering loudly for Cedric, some of them holding banners.

"-and Mr. Potter-"

All the Gryffindors stood up and cheered in the same manner as Harry's name was announced.

"are currently tied for first place, they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr. Krum-"

Every one of the Durmstrang boys stood up, chanting "Krum! Krum! Krum! Krum!"

"-and Miss Delacour."

The Beauxbatons girls squealed as they clapped for Fleur.

"The first person to touch the cup will be the winner!" Dumbledore finished, earning another round of cheering from the audience. "We will have people stationed at every entrance to the maze, so if any contestant wishes to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wand."

"Champions, gather round."

Harry, Cedric, Viktor, and Fleur all gathered around Dumbledore, while I stood 1 or 2 feet away so I was within hearing range. I wanted to know what exactly Harry and Cedric were going to face during this final task.

"In the maze, you'll find no dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead, you'll face something even more challenging," Dumbledore warned the champions. "You see, people change in the maze. Oh, find the cup if you can, but be very wary--you could just lose yourselves along the way." His voice grew louder as he ordered everyone to their marks.

McGonagall, Snape, Moody, Professor Sprout, and I walked in different directions to assume our posts, where we would be patrolling the maze.

"Good luck," I heard Amos Diggory whisper to Cedric as he embraced him.

One by one, the teachers entered the outskirts of the maze. I was the last one to enter, and as I did, I could hear Dumbledore telling the champions to start at the sound of the cannon. And once again, Filch fired it too soon (surprise, surprise...)

I retrieved my wand from the waistline of my pants and muttered, "Lumos." Now I could see where I was going, or if anything were to, say, jump out at me and try to attack me. Steeling my nerves, I started to patrol the maze, keeping my eyes open so I wouldn't miss a thing.