Definitely NOT how I wanted my first day back at Hogwarts to go

Cassia's POV

Our first class today was Herbology. When we got into the greenhouse, everyone started chattering away...until Professor Sprout tapped a flower pot with her wand to get our attention. "Good morning, everyone!" she said loudly.

"Good morning, Professor Sprout," we returned the greeting.

"Welcome to Greenhouse 3, second years. Now gather round, everyone," Professor Sprout told us. We all obeyed. "Today, we're going to repot Mandrakes. Can anyone tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?" Professor Sprout asked.

To nobody's surprise, Hermione's hand was first into the air.

"Yes, Miss Granger?" Professor Sprout called on her.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state," Hermione explained.

I raised my hand next.

"Yes, Miss Potter?" Professor Sprout called on me.

"Mandrakes are the backbone to a majority of antidotes, but they are very dangerous to handle, because the Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it," I said.

"Excellent. 10 points to Gryffindor," said Professor Sprout, "Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I have given each of you a pair of earmuffs, for auditory protection. So would you please put them on right away? Quickly -- flaps tight down!" We obeyed. "And watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly-" she grabbed one of the Mandrakes, "-- you pull it out of the pot --" she pulled it out and the Mandrake gave a horrid cry. It looked like a baby with leaves for hair. We all put our hands over our ear-muffed ears. "-and set it down in the other pot, and add a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm," Professor Sprout continued as she transferred the Mandrake to another pot and covered it in soil. Neville fainted just as the Mandrake stopped crying.

Professor Sprout sighed. "Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs," she muttered, disappointed.

"No, ma'am. He's just fainted," Seamus corrected her.

"Yes, well, just leave him there. Right, on we go, then. plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake and pull it out," Professor Sprout instructed.

We did as she said. It was bad enough hearing one Mandrake crying, even with the earmuffs, but multiple Mandrakes crying at the same time is a whole new ballgame. Malfoy thought it'd be funny to poke the Mandrake, but it bit his finger. I laughed my head off at that. Why wouldn't I? I mean, the git had it coming!

<><><><><>

After Herbology -- which just so happened to be a double period -- we got a break from classes for about an hour. I decided to spend that free time outside, so I sat down on a bench in the courtyard. It wasn't even cold out, it was actually somewhere between 60 and 70 degrees. The trees changing color were so beautiful- this is why autumn is my favorite season.

"Hey, Cassia," someone called my name from behind. I turned around to see Cedric running towards me.

"Hi, Cedric," I greeted him.

He bent down and gave me a huge hug once he reached me. "Why didn't you write me? I've been dying to hear from you! And how come I didn't see you on the platform or at the start-of-term feast?" he asked.

"Uh..." I struggled to come up with a reply, but then I just gave up. "It's a long story. And I doubt you'd believe me if I told you."

"Go on. I'm all ears," he encouraged me.