Firebolt (End of 3rd year)

Cassia's POV

The next day, Harry and I decided to go visit Professor Lupin. It was the last day of third year, and we wanted to see how he was doing after the werewolf incident.

Sure enough, he was in his office, but to our surprise, he was packing his belongings. He turned to face us once we reached the doorway. "Hello, Harry, Cassia. I saw you coming." He pointed his wand at the map.

"Y-You've been sacked?" Harry asked.

Lupin shook his head. "No. No, I resigned," he corrected us, ripping up a paper.

"Why?" I asked.

He sighed. "Well, it seems somebody let slip the nature of my condition. This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving and parents will not be wanting a...well, someone like me teaching their children." He stopped packing for a moment and looked at us. "Why do you look so miserable?"

"None of it made any difference. Pettigrew escaped," Harry replied.

Lupin looked pretty shocked at these words. "Didn't make any difference? Harry, Cassia, it made all the difference in the world. You uncovered the truth. You both saved an innocent man from a terrible fate. It made all the difference in the world." He walked up to us, map in hand. "Now, since I am no longer your teacher, I feel no harm whatsoever in giving this back to you. It is time for us to say goodbye, but I feel sure we'll meet again someday. Until then," he pointed his wand at the map, "Mischief managed." The map folded up and went blank again. With that, Professor Lupin left.

<><><><><>

Harry and I headed down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

"Harry, wherever did you get it?" someone asked, coming up to my brother.

"Can I have a go? After you, of course?" Seamus asked.

Ron was leaning on a crutch, but he looked extremely guilty. "I'm sorry, Harry. I-I didn't mean to open it. It was badly wrapped, uh..." he fumbled. He pointed at the twins. "They made me do it."

"Did not!" the twins both objected at the same time.

A long, brown package in the shape of a broomstick was resting on the Gryffindor table. I helped Harry open it, and sure enough, there was a broomstick in there. One neither of us had ever seen before.

"It's a Firebolt! Fastest broom in the world," Seamus told us.

"Wonder who sent it," I said.

Hermione held up a Hippogriff feather. "This came with it."

Harry and I looked at each other and smiled. It was from Sirius.

<><><><><>

We all ran out to the courtyard, Harry holding the broom.

"Go on, Harry! Try it out!" Dean encouraged us.

Fred handed me his broom. "Cass, why don't you race him?"

I looked at Harry, who nodded.

We both got on our brooms and took off into the sky, Harry screaming and laughing at the same time. He did beat me, but I didn't care, because we had so much fun racing each other and flying around in the sky.

<><><><><>

About a month after school had let out for summer vacation, I was just sitting on my bed, reading the latest issue of Teen Vogue, with Ivy curled up against my side. I'd let Ethel out of the house so she could go for a nice midday flight, stretch her wings a little bit.