The Patronus Charm

Cassia's POV​​​​​​​

Today, Harry and I had our private lesson with Professor Lupin in the Astronomy Tower.
"Harry, Cassia. Good. You came," Lupin greeted us from where he stood on the balcony above us. "Now, are you both sure about this? This is very advanced magic, well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level."

Harry and I both nodded.

Seeming satisfied with that response, Lupin made his way down the stairs, towards us. "Alright. The spell I'm going to try to teach you two is called the Patronus Charm. Have you ever heard of it?" he questioned.

We shook our heads.

"Well, a Patronus, for the wizard who conjures one, works something like a shield, with the Dementor feeding on it, rather than him...or her. But in order to do that, you have to think of a memory. Not just any memory; a very happy memory, a very powerful memory," Professor Lupin explained. He leaned back, sitting down on a trunk. "Now close your eyes," he instructed.

We obeyed.

"Concentrate...explore your past." I heard Lupin telling us."When you have a memory, allow it to fill you up, lose yourself, and speak the incantation: Expecto Patronum."

"Expecto Patronum," Harry and I said at the same time.

"Very good," Lupin praised.

One at a time, we opened our eyes.

Lupin got off the trunk and crossed over behind it. "Now, wands at the ready," he said.

We drew our wands.

Professor Lupin waved a hand over the trunk, unlocking it. Then he took off the lid. A Dementor was now looming over us.

"Expecto Patronum!" Harry spoke, pointing his wand at the Dementor. The skeletal candles surrounding us were snuffed out, but Harry stood his ground. And so did I. "Expecto...Expecto...Expect..." My brother fainted, causing me to feel an immense pain radiating throughout my brain.

"Ugh...Expecto Patronum!" I managed through my headache. The pain got stronger and worse. It felt like there was constant pressure on my skull. What was going on with me? Why did I feel this pain? And why did it hurt so much? "Expecto...Patro..." That was all I got out before the pain became too much, and I blacked out.

<><><><><>

When I came to, I could feel someone's hands on my back, helping me sit up. Professor Lupin stood in front of me, holding my hand. I turned around to see who was behind me, and I saw Harry had his hands on my back. The headache I'd developed had vanished as mysteriously as it'd appeared.

"Are you alright, Cassia?" Professor Lupin asked, holding out a piece of chocolate for me.

I nodded, taking the chocolate and nibbling it slightly. "Yes. I'm okay, except...when Harry fainted, I felt that headache again."

"I see," Lupin said, "Well, I didn't expect either of you to conjure your Patronus the first time. That would have been remarkable to hear."

"That's one nasty Dementor," Harry remarked.

I nodded in agreement.

Lupin shook his head. "No, no, no. That was a Boggart, children. A Boggart. The real thing would be worse. Much, much worse."

"You've got that right," I concurred.

"As a matter of interest, which memory did you choose?" Professor Lupin asked, getting up to light the skeleton candles again.