My first glimpse of a Boggart

Cassia's POV

The next day, we had a free period first thing in the morning, so all four of us (Me, Harry, Hermione, and Ron) went into the Great Hall to study. Unfortunately, the table we chose was the one right next to where Malfoy was sitting, and we had to listen to him rambling on and on about him supposedly 'almost losing his arm'.

"Look at him. He's really laying it on thick, isn't he?" Ron asked.

"That's an understatement. He's such a drama queen!" I jumped in.

"Yeah. Well, at least Hagrid didn't get fired," Harry pointed out.

"Thank Merlin," I agreed.

"Yeah, but I hear Draco's father is furious. We haven't heard the end of this," Hermione warned us.

Cedric came over to us. "Hey, Cassia," he greeted me.

"Hi, Cedric," I returned the greeting. But then I remembered Harry, Ron, and Hermione hadn't met him before, so I introduced them. "Cedric, you know my brother Harry. These are our friends Ron and Hermione," I said, gesturing to the other three members of our 'Golden Quartet'. Cedric waved to them and shook each of their hands.

"Hello," Hermione said.

"Hi. Nice to meet you," Harry added.

"Hey," Ron jumped in.

"So what's going on?" Cedric asked.

"Well, Malfoy's complaining about something that happened in Care of Magical Creatures class yesterday- Hagrid brought in a Hippogriff and then Malfoy, being the idiot that he is, decided to provoke it. And then it attacked him and now Malfoy keeps saying that it almost took his arm off," I explained.

"I never liked the Malfoys. Neither does my dad. He told me they're bad news," Cedric admitted.

Ron grinned at this. "Well, he's right," he agreed.

"He's been sighted! He's been sighted!" we heard Seamus exclaim. He set a copy of the Daily Prophet in front of us.

"Who?" Dean asked.

"Sirius Black!" Seamus replied. Everyone at the Gryffindor table -- the five of us included -- gathered around him to read the paper. Apparently, Sirius had been spotted in Dufftown.

"Dufftown? That's not far from here," Hermione remarked.

"You don't think he could get into Hogwarts, do you?" Neville asked.

"With Dementors at every entrance?" Dean added.

"Dementors? He's already slipped past them once. Who's to say he won't do it again?" Seamus pointed out

"That's right. Black could be anywhere. It's like trying to catch smoke. Like trying to catch smoke with your bare hands," another boy jumped in.

Harry and I stared at the mad man in the moving photograph. He looked so scary. And the fact that he was after Harry and I made him even scarier.

<><><><><>

Defense Against the Dark Arts was our last class of the day. Professor Lupin had us put our things in the back of the room. Looks like today's a hands-on lesson. Fun! We all stood in front of a wardrobe that rattled every once in a while, making some of the other students flinch.

"Intriguing, isn't it? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?" Professor Lupin asked, walking slowly around the room.

"That's a Boggart, that is," Dean answered, without raising his hand.