Second Task: Deep-sea "treasure" hunt

Cedric's POV

I woke up around 8:45 the next morning and set about getting ready for the task today. My roommates had all woken up earlier so they could grab breakfast before the task began.

Taking advantage of the extra privacy in my dorm, I changed into my swim trunks, along with a yellow tank top that had the Hufflepuff logo on it. A strap was fastened onto my right leg, where I would hold my wand for when I needed to activate the Bubblehead Charm. Over that, I wore black sweatpants and a grey hoodie. On my feet were a pair of white ankle socks and beige sneakers.

I grabbed my wristwatch from my bedside table and secured it onto my left wrist. The time now said it was 9:05. Guess I'd better get going. I left my dorm and headed downstairs. It took me about ten minutes to make my way down to the docks, where everyone else was starting to gather.

Fleur and Viktor were already waiting for me, but Harry still had yet to arrive. I guessed he was waiting for Ron to be done with breakfast so they could walk down here together. As a rule, the champions had to all ride in a boat together to the area in the middle of the lake, where the task would be taking place. We weren't allowed to board the boat unless all four of us were present.

Fred and George were -- once again -- going around collecting bets from the other students, which didn't surprise me. Since their betting on Ireland to win the Quidditch World Cup had ended with them being conned, they were using bets from the tournament to build the joke shop they've always wanted to open up.

"Three lads!" Fred called out.

"One lady!" George added.

"Four go down-" Fred trailed off.

"-but will four come up?" George finished his twin's question.

Ginny got annoyed with them. "Don't be so mean."

Fred and George merely shrugged in response and went back to collecting bets.

I scanned the crowds, trying to spot Cassia, but I couldn't. She had promised that she'd be there for Harry and I, cheering us on, but right now, she was nowhere to be found.

My friends Drew, Joseph, and Nathan waved at me to get my attention as they boarded a boat together. I was surprised to see that Zack wasn't with them. First, my girlfriend disappears, and now my best mate? There was no way it could have been a coincidence.

Harry arrived at the docks, accompanied by Ron and Neville. "You're sure about this, Neville?" he asked, holding a slimy, bright green substance in one hand.

Neville nodded. "Absolutely."

"For an hour?" Harry pressed.

Now Neville looked a bit unsure. "Most likely..."

"Most likely?" Harry echoed, unable to believe his ears.

Ron looked at Neville like he had two heads. "What do you mean, 'most likely'?"

"Well, there is some debate among herbologists as to the effects of freshwater versus saltwater, so-" Neville confessed.

"You're telling me this now?! You must be joking!" Harry exclaimed.

"I-I just wanted to help," Neville stuttered.