Aftershocks (End of 4th year)

Cedric's POV

I felt myself slam into the ground; my face was pressed into the grass; the smell of it filled my nostrils. The sound of up tempo marching music and crowds cheering filled my ears. I sat up, using my arms to support myself, and looked around. We were back on the Quidditch Pitch, right in front of the entrance to the maze.

I saw Harry to my right, kneeling on the grass. He was holding Cassia so that her head was in his lap. I ran over to check on her. She didn't look good; her arm was still bleeding profusely and her eyelids fluttered uncontrollably as she tried and failed to keep awake.

The sight proved to be quite a shock to Fleur, because I heard her scream from where she stood with her Beauxbatons schoolmates.

Cassia had hit that gravestone hard. She could have a concussion, or lose her memory...or worse, the impact might've broken her skull. I knew a head injury like that could be deadly if left untreated. Just knowing that fact made me start to panic. Cassia is literally the reason I'm still alive, and if I were to lose her now, I'd never forgive myself. She was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Madam Pomfrey and Professor Sprout, my Head of House, came over and tried to pry me from Cassia's body. Neither one of them succeeded, even in trying to loosen my grip.

"Harry! Cedric!" Dumbledore exclaimed as he, too, rushed over and tried to pull us off Cassia.

"No!" Harry yelled, fighting back. "NO!"

Sprout and Dumbledore attempted to pull me off my girlfriend together, but again, failed.

The Minister for Magic ran over. "For God's sake, Dumbledore, what happened?" he asked, before his eyes fell on Cassia. "My God -- Cassia!" he exclaimed. "Is she alright?"

The band had stopped playing by now. No one had bothered to notice. I don't think they even cared about the music at this point--I know Harry and I didn't.

"No," I answered, fighting back tears. "She's hurt, badly."

Harry, on the other hand, was bawling. "He's back! He's back! Voldemort's back! Cedric...he tried to kill him!" he sobbed. "And Cassia...she's hurt! She took two Cruciatus Curses for me!"

Dumbledore placed both his hands on Harry's shoulders, trying to console him. "It's alright, Harry. It's alright. She's home. You all are."

"Let me through! Let me through!" I heard my father demand as he pushed his way through the crowd. When he got to us, he dropped to his knees, pulling me into a tight hug. I could feel a tear drop onto my shirt. "Thank goodness you're safe..."

Mum came over and hugged me next, giving me a peck on the forehead. "Are you alright, Cedric?" she asked, looking me over for any serious injuries.

I nodded, sniffling. "Yes. I'm fine." I glanced down at Cassia, who could barely keep her eyes open. "But Cassia isn't...she needs medical attention."

"What happened?" she asked, glancing down at Cassia.

I trembled all over as I remembered what had happened after we had touched the Triwizard Cup. "The Cup was a Portkey...it took us to a graveyard. Someone -- his name was Wormtail -- he cast a Killing Curse at me. Cassia pushed me out of the way and told me to get back to the cup. I refused, and then Wormtail...took blood from her and Harry. He made some kind of potion with it, and...and..."