"Mudblood."

Cassia's POV

On Saturday morning, I was woken up extremely early by Katie, Angelina, and Alicia.

"Come on, Cass. Wood wants us all to meet him downstairs in 5 minutes," Katie said.

I quickly got changed into my uniform and pulled my hair up into a ponytail. Then we all ran down to the common room to meet up with the rest of the team. Wood came downstairs a few seconds later, and we all started to walk down to the Quidditch Pitch.

"I spent the summer devising a new Quidditch program. We are going to train earlier, harder, and longer," Wood explained to us. A look of surprise crossed his features once he saw the Slytherin team coming our way. "What? I don't believe it..." he muttered. This isn't gonna end well. We walked up to them.

"Where d'you think you're going, Flint?" Wood asked.

"Quidditch practice," Flint replied.

"I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today," Wood told him.

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note," Flint warned. He handed him a piece of parchment.

Ron and Hermione came and stood beside Harry and I.

"I, Professor Serverus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice, today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker," Wood read. He folded up the note. "You've got a new Seeker. Who?" he asked.

Some of the Slytherins stepped aside, and Malfoy came out to face us.

"Malfoy?" Harry and I said, unable to believe it.

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year," Malfoy replied. We saw the Slytherins had different brooms than we did.

"Those are Nimbus 2001s!" Ron exclaimed, "How did you get those?"

"A gift from Draco's father," Flint answered.

"You see, Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best."

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent," Hermione said sharply.

"Exactly, and they're not stuck-up, arrogant, spoiled brats, either," I chimed in, standing next to Hermione.

The smug look on Malfoy's face flickered. "No one asked for your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood," he spat.

That made me angry. "Well, no one wants to hear you brag about how much money you have, snob," I retorted. Suddenly, I felt my tongue glue itself to the roof of my mouth. I couldn't speak or open my mouth. I started to panic.

"What's the matter, Potter? Cat got your tongue?" Malfoy teased.

Now I was really mad. He'd used a Langlok curse on me! I slapped him and heard some people "Oooh"-ing.

It's a good thing Hermione knew how to counter it. She pointed her wand at my mouth. "Finite," she said. My tongue became unglued, and I could talk again.

"Thanks, Hermione," I whispered.

"Well, I couldn't let him get away with it, could I?" she whispered back.

Ron wasn't gonna let him either. "You'll pay for that one, Malfoy," he snapped, taking out his wand. "Eat slugs!" He flicked his wand at Malfoy, but the hex rebounded, sending him flying backwards. Harry, Hermione, and I -- plus the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team -- ran over to him to see if he was alright.

"You okay, Ron?" Hermione asked.

Ron's mouth was so full that he basically had chipmunk cheeks. All he could give in reply was a gurgle. He looked like he was gonna throw up.

"Say something!" Hermione urged him.

Ron spit out a slug, making us all grimace. Alicia, Angie, and Katie all made exclamations of pure disgust.

Someone snapped a picture from behind us, and we looked to see it was Collin. "Wow! Can you turn him around, guys?" Collin asked.

"No, Collin, get out of the way!" Harry ordered. We pulled Ron to his feet, just as he threw up another slug.

"Ugh..." I muttered, wrinkling my nose.

"Let's take him to Hagrid. He'll know what to do," Harry suggested.

All four of us ran off to Hagrid's hut.

<><><><><>

"This calls for a specialist's equipment," Hagrid said, handing Ron a bucket. "Nothin' left to do but wait 'til it stops, I'm afraid."

Ron spit out another slug, making me wrinkle my nose again. Harry grimaced. He was just as disgusted as I was.

"Well, better out than in," Hagrid said. He looked at Harry and I. "Who was he tryin' ter curse, anyway?"

"Malfoy," we both said in unison. Oh, the perks of being a twin...

"He used a Langlok jinx on Cass and he called Hermione..." Harry started to say. "...well, I don't know exactly what it means."

Hermione stood up and walked to the other side of the room. "He called me a Mudblood," she answered, crossing her arms.

Hagrid gasped. "He did not!"

"What's a Mudblood?" Harry asked.

"Something you really don't want to say," I replied.

Hermione whirled around to face us. "Cassia's right, Harry. And it means 'dirty blood'. Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who's Muggle-born. Someone with non-magic parents. Someone like me," she explained.

I nodded to confirm her words.

"It's not a term one usually hears in a civilized conversation," she added, sitting back down.

"You see, Harry, there are some wizards, like the Malfoy family, who think they're better than everyone else because they're what people call 'pure blood'," Hagrid jumped in.

"That's horrible," Harry said.

I nodded in agreement. "No kidding..."

Ron spit out another slug. "It's disgusting..." he groaned out.

"And it's codswallop to us. 'Dirty blood'...why, there isn't a wizard alive today that's not half-blood or less. More to the point, they've yet to think of a spell that our Hermione can't do," Hagrid added. He turned to Hermione. "Come here..."

Hermione walked over to him.

Hagrid took her hands in his. "Don't you think on it, Hermione. Don't you think on it for one minute. Eh?" he told her, making her crack a smile.

I got up and hugged her. "Hagrid's right. Malfoy's just trying to get a rise out of you," I said.

Hermione wrapped her arms around me, hugging me back. Harry, Ron, and even Hagrid joined in, turning the 2-person hug into one big -- and I mean big -- group hug.