Buckbeak

Cassia's POV

This morning, our first class was Divination. We all filed into the classroom and sat three to these miniature tea tables. Harry, Ron, and I sat together, of course.

"Welcome, my children. In this room, you shall explore the noble art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess the Sight," the professor explained. She stood up and bumped into a table in front of her, much to the class' amusement. "Hello. I am Professor Trelawney," she greeted, "Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future! But for this lesson, we will be focusing on Tessomancy, which is the art of reading tea leave, so please take the cup of the person sitting opposite you. But first, you must broaden your minds. First, you must look beyond."

"What a load of rubbish," I heard Hermione say suddenly, drawing our attention to her.

"Where'd you come from?" Ron asked.

"Me? I've been here all this time," Hermione snapped. I raised an eyebrow at her. Somehow, I could tell she was lying.

Professor Trelawney instructed us to take a cup from the person sitting opposite us, and interpret what the tea leaves at the bottom of the cup represented. Harry got mine, Ron got Harry's, and I got Ron's.

"You, boy, is your grandmother quite well?" Professor Trelawney asked, looking at Neville.

"I-I-I think so," Neville replied.

"Give me the cup," Trelawney requested. He complied, and she looked into it. "Oh...pity," she muttered, placing the cup down. She walked around the room, reminding us to broaden our minds, but then she stopped suddenly when she saw Ron. "Oh! Your aura is pulsing, dear. Are you in the beyond? I think you are!" she exclaimed.

"Sure," Ron replied.

"Look at the cup. Tell me what you see," Trelawney urged him.

"Well, Harry's got sort of a wonky cross. That's trials and suffering. And...there-there could be the sun. That's happiness. So, uh, you're gonna suffer...but you're gonna be happy about it," Ron read, looking at his Divination book every few seconds to translate the meaning of the tea leaves in Harry's cup.

Trelawney made eye contact with Harry. "And your sister, boy?"

Harry examined my cup, squinting a little as he tried to get a good look at what the tea leaves meant. "Well...Cass has a heart. That's a symbol of love," he said, "But -- but I can see it has cracks in it, and they're -- they're mending. So..." He glanced at Ron's book. "...she's going to fall in love, and it'll be a struggle, but the love will last a long time."

"Give me the cups," Trelawney ordered. Harry and Ron handed them to her, but as soon as she looked inside, a look of pure shock crossed her face, and she almost dropped the cups. "Oh, my-my dears, you have...the Grim," she managed to say in between heavy gasps.

"The Grin? What's the Grin?" Seamus asked.

"Not the Grin, you idiot. The Grim," Dean corrected him.

"Taking form of a giant spectral dog. It's among the darkest omens in our world. It's an omen...of death." someone read from their book. Wait, does that mean Harry and I might die?! Oh my God, this is insane!

<><><><><>

"Don't think that Grim thing's got anything to do with Sirius Black, do you?" Ron asked as we made our way down to Hagrid's hut for Care of Magical Creatures class.

"Oh, honestly, Ron. If you ask me, Divination's a very wooly discipline. Ancient Runes, there's a fascinating subject," Hermione snapped.

Ron had a confused look on his face. "Ancient Runes? Exactly how many classes are you taking this term?" he questioned.