The beginning of the end.

Sang's POV:

The wind outside my window was howling as I laid awake in my bed which was pushed up against my window. There was a storm brewing tonight in Charleston, south Carolina. It had been the first time in weeks since it had rained and I knew if I didn't try and gather some water into the bucket I had sitting on my bookshelf that was across the room I would surely have to venture out into the woods behind my house to collect some, and that...was a problem.

It had been 2 weeks since the world I knew had come crashing down around me and I knew it was only going to get worse. The day the world as we knew it ended I was up in my room getting ready for my first day at what would have been my new school- Ashley Rivers high- when the first of the emergency signals rang across the area. I was lucky to have been listening to my radio at the time

Beeeeep beeeep bedeep bedeep eeeerk

"Warning for those surrounding the Charleston, south Carolina and surrounding areas. There has been a breach in security breech in a government facility nearby. Government officials have yet to confirm the dangers of said breech. Please remain in your homes. The city of Charleston has been ordered on lockdown until otherwise notified..."

I had ran down the stairs in time to stop Marie-my sister- from leaving the house for our bus stop and told her what I'd heard. We rushed into my mothers room ignoring her hateful words as we flipped on the TV and put on the news...we could never have been prepared for what we were about to see...

Dead bodies.

Walking dead bodies.

We all watched in frozen horror as a man was mauled by and undead. His agonized scream is simething i dont ever think i will be able to unhear. We watched as his insides were torn from his body and eaten before too many of the undead were surrounding him for us to see anymore. My mother told Marie to start packing right after, assuming that also meant me, we both bolted out of mothers room like a rocket. Withing 30 minutes I was packed and had ran downstairs ripping my luggage near the garage door and had began packing food when my mother snarled at me to stop. She told me I was not to come with them. Even Marie, who had always hated me was reluctant to leave me but eventually they had packed their stuff and I was watching from the driveway as our beat up old Honda drove away...leaving me behind.

I sighed as I remembered that day before pushing up off my bed with a grunt. I walked over to my bookshelf snatched the bucket off and went back to my window. I opened it and after tying my bucket off so it wouldn't fall of the roof I climbed out quickly and carefully to position it where the rain would be able to collect.

The wind bit into the loose fabric of my worn out clothes. I had on a thin pink T-shirt with a black cardigan layered over the top of it. My faded blue jeans had holes where the knees used to be and my sneakers were an old battered pair of black converse. After securing my bucket I made my way back into my bedroom and closed the window with an audible click and winced when I turned around on my bed to face my only companion who I had now woken up.