Your My Meanie

Sang's POV:

Later that night, Gabriel and I were laying quietly on our stomachs, keeping watch on the roof while the rest of the boys were tucked into bed inside. After the attack Victor and I faced today my energy was almost completely drained. I knew the plan was to leave for our journey tomorrow morning and I really needed rest, but I would not disappoint the boys by falling asleep on watch. I was humming a tune under my breath before I began to softly sing to pass the time.

"A gentle breeze from Hushabye Mountain

Softly blows o'er lullaby bay.

It fills the sails of boats that are waiting--

Waiting to sail your worries away.

It isn't far to Hushabye Mountain

And your boat waits down by the quay.

The winds of night so softly are sighing--

Soon they will fly your troubles to sea.

So close your eyes on Hushabye Mountain.

Wave good-bye to cares of the day.

And watch your boat from Hushabye Mountain

Sail far away from lullaby bay."

As I continued to softly sing I could feel Gabriel's burning gaze on my face so I stole a quick glance. My breathing hitched causing me to falter in my song when I realized he was wearing the most gentle yet pained expression I'd seen on him since I've met him and his eyes were glistening with unshed tears.

"Gabriel, are you okay?" I whispered to him softly. He shuddered, closing his eyes and I watched as a tear escaped and ran down his cheek. Without thinking I reached out and wiped it away with the pad of my thumb, as I was pulling my hand back he grabbed my hand gently, stopping me from moving, before nuzzling my hand with his face.

"Trouble, where'd you learn that song?" He murmured quietly as his crystal blue orbs locked onto mine.

"Well, when I was younger I heard it in a movie and thought it was beautiful so I memorized it. A few days later, when I came home, some terrible things happened..." I paused sucking in a deep breath before looking away.

"I ended up in my room crying that night and the only thing I could think of was that song. I sang it over and over again until I finally fell asleep." I answered, turning back and studying him intently.

I remembered that night clearly, it was the night I had found out my mother wasn't really my mother. My dad had sat me down and explained how he had an affair with a woman- my birth mother- while on a business trip. 9 months later I was dropped off st his doorstep with a note explaining that my birth mother had died during childbirth after birthing me at home. I wanted to tell Gabriel all about it, but I hardly knew him. I didn't think I was quite that comfortable telling him all about my crappy past life.

"What about you, where'd you learn it?" I questioned him gently.

He sighed deeply and grew quiet, lacing our fingers together as we glanced up at the sky. I assumed he didn't really want to talk about it and was getting ready to let it go when he finally spoke up.

"My mom used to sing it to me as a kid, and my baby brother too after he was born. When I was about 9 my mom and brother died in a car accident, my dad was driving at the time...he was drunk." He paused thinking over what he'd just said. I gently squeezed his hand in reassurance and leaned over so I could lay my head on his shoulder to offer some support.

He dropped a kiss to the top of my head before continuing his story. "For a long time after that he blamed me, said it should have been me and not them." He breathed out shakily, my eyes had started to water by this point and I could feel my heart breaking for this boy I've come to care so much about in such a short time.

"He used to beat the shit out of me, trouble. That went on for a while...a couple years or so. Then he met Pam, my step-mom. Once they got married he cleaned up his act a little bit. Stopped beating me as much, held down a steady job, but it didn't last for long. About a year after they got married he got wasted after work and wrapped his car around a telephone pole. So Pam got stuck with me and I was pretty much alone. She tried though, and she stayed so that's what counts, and....trouble, are you..are you crying?" He chuckled the last bit out softly.

I reached up and sure enough I was crying. I snuggled in closer to my strong, brave, Gabriel as he wiped my tears away. "Trouble, sweetheart...please...damnit trouble your killing me. Please don't cry." Gabriel pleaded softly.

I couldn't help the unlady like snort that I let out as I wiped away my tears. He wrapped an arm around me and drew me in close to his side.

"Sorry Gabriel. It just makes me sad that bad things happen to good people... Like you for example." I whispered. I realized that the three black rings in the crest of his ear were for each loved one he'd lost and I hoped he'd never have to add another. He chuckled softly and shook his head as he looked at me with a small smirk.

"Your trouble, you know that?" He teased with a soft smile.I laughed quietly before nudging him lightly with my shoulder.

"Oh yeah, well your a meanie, quit teasing me." I quipped as I oh so maturely stuck my tongue out. His eyes went wide and he laughed at that.

"Oy, its not teasing if its the truth." He said between laughs, shooting me a wink. I scoffed and mick glared at him when he grinned at me.

"Then your definitely a meanie," I smiled. "My meanie."

He opened his mouth to say something when we heard an explosion go off in the trailor park down the street before the surrounding area was lit up with light from a fire.

We both shot to our feet with our guns in hand and scanned the area slack-jawed as we watched a heard of undead heading our way at the end if the street.

"Fuck, we gotta go trouble!" Gabriel exclaimed before grabbing my hand and we ran over to the window before climbing through. Everyone was awake now and sitting strait up in alarm, so as soon as we set foot in my room Mr. Blackbourne was up and out of bed.

"Mr. Coleman, report." He demanded as I started made a beeline to the attic. I could vaguely make out Meanie explaining to them what was happening as I began to start loading the knives, guns and ammo into two duffle bags leaving out just enough for everyone to have two guns and knives before picking up my crossbow and slinging it over my shoulder along with my bag of arrows.

I walked out with the bags dropped them on the bed, grabbing a third duffle plus my backpack and opening my closet dumping my clothes and my hot sauces into my bag before emptying out all the MRE's into my backpack and filling the rest of my duffle as Mr. Blackbourne was finishing barking out orders.

"...so we're leaving tonight, we'll take the back way through the woods and to the Diner parking lot. Going with me will be Dr. Green, Mr. Lee, Mr. Griffin, Mr. Luke Taylor, and I'll also be taking max. Going with Mr. North Taylor will be Mr. Korba, Mr. Morgan, Mr. Coleman, and Mrs. Sorenson. Does anyone have anything they wish to add before we leave?" Mr. Blackbourne asked as everyone began to shuffle around packing their stuff. I quickly raised my hand and he nodded in acknowledgement.

"I've packed all the weapons but left enough for you all to carry two guns and 2 knifes on each of you, the rest of my stuff is packed and I think we should head out through the back door since they're headed up the front. I don't want to be caught going out the window." I added quickly to which he nodded in approval.

"Alright then, North, Silas...move that bookshelf and let's move out." He ordered, and with that everyone moved.

I didn't know what tonight would bring but I prayed with everything I had that we'd all make it out alive and safe.