0.24 - Memories

A slow beeping noise woke me up, a rather familiar one I might add.

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep...

I glance over and realize it's that heart monitor thing. The ones they have in hospitals.

Wait, what? What was I doing here?

I look around and start to sit up a little bit, looking around. The walls were white and plain, but the ceiling had a nice mural of the ocean floor. Turtles and fish filled my vision and consumed my thoughts before I heard the door knob jiggle.

I looked over to see a doctor walk in. "Ah, you're awake." He smiled and me and walked over to check a few tubes I hadn't noticed connected to me.

"What.. What am I doing here?" My voice was hoarse and I looked at the clock.

11:57 pm. Thomas might come by. He might.

"You collapsed and was taken here. Nothing more than simply passing out. Your heart was beating at an unhealthy rate and we were afraid it would slow down more as you stayed asleep." He gestured to the various cords and tubes. "This why you're all hooked up."

I nodded my head and laid it back. My eyes closed slightly and I bit my bottom lip. "Can you please hurry up. I'd like to be left alone."

I didn't bother to look at him, but judging by him shuffling around a bit more I figured he was doing as I said.

Soon, I heard a quiet, "goodnight," and a door close. I sighed softly to myself and ran my hands over my face.

"What did I do to get myself in here...." I murmured to myself. With one glance at the luminescent clock I watched at the numbers slowly changed from 12:06 am, to 12:07.

12:07. Thomas. He should be here. He should be-

A small knock on the door made me jump a bit. I could barely move with how weak my legs and knees were, but I tried to get up anyways.

I winced, trying to get out of the bed, and when I finally stood I realized it didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would.

I opened the door only to be greeted with nothing. The halls were dark and no one was around. But... Didn't someone just..?

A small meow made me look down and there by my feet was Cordelia, pawing at my shins and meowing at me.

I laughing softly, tears prickling in my eyes as I reached down and scooped her up. "Hi Delly..." I whispered.

I stroked her white fur and she nuzzled up against me. She always seemed to know what I was saying. "I haven't seen you in ages.."

She looked up at me, her eyes were pitch black yet they sparkled and seemed to glow. She meowed at me once again and her little white paw touched my lips.

A memory crossed my mind and a single tear fell down my cheek.

"Now leave. I fed your cat now-"

"Cordelia."

"Huh?"

"Her name is Cordelia. And I'm leaving her with you so try calling her by her name. If not she'll never like you. No nicknames."

"Thomas told me to not give you any nicknames..." I whispered softly. I held her closer and another tear fell down my cheek. "I'm sorry..."

She seemed to tilt her small head at me before curling up and nuzzling against my chest and chin. I stroked her Snow White fur and closed my eyes. Another memory filled my thoughts and Cordelia purred softly to my actions.

"Thomas? What the hell? I thought you said you were leaving."

"I missed Delly."

"If you missed her so much to the point of coming back.. Then why don't you keep her?"

"Because you need her more then I do."

I sighed and bit my bottom lip. He was right, I do need her. She was one of the only things left of him that I had. One of the things that I could hold onto and know that it was real.

I've seen her during the mornings when Thomas wasn't around. I've held her, fed her, granted I didn't want her to begin with, but I didn't want to hang out with Thomas either.

"I can't believe I was so stupid back then.. Telling him to leave and go.." I looked down at Cordelia who only looked back up at me. "And now I'm laying in a hospital bed, crying over him and just wishing he could come here and lay with me."

She nuzzled against me and her eyes closed. I figured I should do the same. Try to sleep a little.

Her purring was one of the last things I heard, and her fur under my hands as my body relaxed and I finally let myself be consumed by sleep.

-

The next morning I woke up to the same annoying beeping sound. Now that I think about it, I didn't hear that all last night. All I heard was Cordelia purring-

Cordelia!

I sat up almost immediately and looked around the bed to see if she was still with me. A small frown found its way to my lips when she was no where in sight.

"Maybe.. Maybe she's hiding!" I say to myself. I smile and lean over the bed a little, looking all around.

"Here kitty, kitty, kitty.... Cordelia... C'mon out little Delly..." I murmur and look around.

No meow's greet me, and I'm only rewarded with the annoying beeping sound next to me.

I frown and lean back on the bed. Tears well in my eyes and a pull my knees up to my chest. I can't help but cry. I feel so alone right now and I can't help it.

The heart rate monitor picked up and a nurse soon opened the door, only to gasp and run for a doctor.

Oh geez...

My life was going to be hell now. It was. And I don't think I'm going to be prepared for whatever is coming next.

~

Hello lovelies! Another chapter finished and completed for you all!

Cordelia is back though! How many of you missed her? Anyone have any theories on the little kitty? Because she does have importance in the story. ( minor importance, but still there )

Check out my bio for my updating schedule! Anyone who still follows this I bet will be pleased to know it's being updated WEDNESDAY and FRIDAY!!! Yay!!

Also thanks for 5.8k + views!! That seriously means the world to me and I can't believe there's so many of you reading my story lol.

Please comment and vote, it really helps me a lot (:

~ Mercay